Rescuing Mr. Crabbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blizzanj

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
Nebraska~ at the moment
Mr. Crabbs is the whole reasoning behind buying my 20g aquarium in the first place and making it brackish. Poor little guy has been through a lot. I bought him and a friend at the LFS a couple weeks ago and stuck him in my 10g freshwater aquarium because that's how they had him. I thought it odd that he would be perfectly fine in freshwater so I did a little research on the internet. Come to find out lots of people and Pet Stores make this same mistake. They can survive in freshwater but not for long, they really need brackish in order to survive for longer than a week. They also need access to the surface every so often. So one morning when I found him and his friend stiff on the bottom of my tank I knew it was too late. As I was lifting them out with my net I noticed his little leg just barely moving. So I went and got one of my corningware bake dishes, put some aquarium water in it, put a rock in there for hiding and climbing to the surface and waited. I didn't have the money yet for a new aquarium and so the best thing I could do for him is to go get marine salt, add a little bit and wait. The next couple days were touch and go, he seemed to be getting stronger though. Instead of barely moving and being stiff he started to gain his composure back. Unfortunatly, due to the stress he lost both of his claws (good thing he will gain these back during his next molt). Eventually after a week he started to move fairly fast and eat pretty good so I knew it was time to invest in his future. I bought a 20g tank with a good filtration system off craigslist for $40 and set it up as a brackish aquarium complete with white sand for burrowing and lava rocks for hiding. A crabby paradise! Mr. Crabbs is doing just fine, even after introducing two more crabs as tank mates. Despite not having claws which would normally make him defenseless, he is still head crab. Just this morning I saw him waving his little legs and running off the fiddler crab out of his main hiding spot. Mr. Crabbs is BACK and feeling good :headbang2:

Last edited:

Blizzanj

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
Nebraska~ at the moment
Here is a question though, I have a API Freshwater Master test kit for my 10g, what can I use for my 20g brackish? It's on the lower end brackish

Blizzanj

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
Nebraska~ at the moment
Job well done with mr. crabbs! I don't know the answer to your question though :)
Thanks :) I don't know why I feel so excited about a freaking crab but I guess when you're hubby is in Afghanistan it's the little things in life you get the most excitement from ha ha ha :silly:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
You are talking to an invert junkie here! I totally get it :) Hopefully sploke or someone brackishly inclined will be along soon to answer your test kit question.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
What a story. I'm so glad he's OK -- and I too get it about getting so attached to our aquatic friends! He's lucky to have you.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
What kind of crab is he?

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I wonder when stores will finally stop selling a brackish crab that spends the majority of it's time on land as a fully aquatic freshwater crab...

You can use the freshwater test kit for your brackish water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store