Cichlid with Tiger barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tearing down my 75gal SW tank. Will be making it another FW (do not want same fish as my 100gal). Plan on adding about 12+ Tiger barbs, and will be moving my Golden barbs over too. Would like to add 4 (2 pairs) of Cichlids. Any good ideas?? Maybe 2 pairs of Jewel or Rainbows cichlids or a pair of each??

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
You want something calm, an aggresive fish such as a jack Dempsey will stress the barb. I would try angel fish, green terror, Nicaragua cichlids, dwarf cichlid, ram, or krib that's just what I think would be sutiable

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Not a good idea at all. Tiger barbs are considered semi-aggressive and cichlids are considered to be aggressive. The only cichlid I have ever tried with tigers is an angelfish that happens to be just as snotty as any other in the tank. But for some strange reason they leave each other alone and actually cohabit well. I did this as a desperation move and would never recommend it. I have tigerbarbs, blaskskirt tetras, serpae tetras, and 1 CAE in that same tank.

There are better mates to choose from other than cichlids. Please re-think your options.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have angels in my 100gal with my "tetras" already.

Right now just looking at options only.
I do not want to try any slow moving cichlid (angels, rams, ect) with tigers. My angels and rams are OK with my present fishes, but my golden barbs are getting too big and aggressive with my rams.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I had Bolivian Rams with tiger barbs...the Rams in this case pummeled the tiger barbs.
I had to get rid of the tiger barbs.

maybe a firemouth, festivum or severum(questionable with this one

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
One of the Geophagus sp should do well with them. My Brasiliensis don't bother Danios, I was thinking of trying my Barbs with them. I have Tiger Barbs in my 75 gal Tanganyikan, holding the place for C. Leptosoma. I have never seen the fish interact at all, with the exception of Brichardi running them off every now and then. We are comparing apples to oranges cichlid- wise though.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just wanted to add that Angels w/ Tigers - usually a very bad idea as barbs can't resist those long, thin fins...

How about some Silver Dollars (unless you're planted...)?
NO. I do not (will not try) try angels with Tiger barbs.

PS--Would like planted, so no SD :(

milw217

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
I currently have a 55 gal planted with 6 tiger barbs, 1 tropheus duboisi and two Cyphotilapia gibberosa. (Pretty sure that's what they're called) They are blue with 6 or 7 black vertical stripes. The 3 gibberosa are fairly territorial, the tropheus is really good, he swims all over the tank and nobody bothers him and he doesn't pick on anything else. The tiger barbs pretty much stay schooled together and don't get picked on. Have fun, I think cichlids are awesome!

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I currently have a 55 gal planted with 6 tiger barbs, 1 tropheus duboisi and two Cyphotilapia gibberosa. (Pretty sure that's what they're called) They are blue with 6 or 7 black vertical stripes. The 3 gibberosa are fairly territorial, the tropheus is really good, he swims all over the tank and nobody bothers him and he doesn't pick on anything else. The tiger barbs pretty much stay schooled together and don't get picked on. Have fun, I think cichlids are awesome!
Not really TOOOO interested in Africans, but they will stand up to Tiger barbs. Well---Jewels are Africans too, but.... Really looking for either Central or South American Cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store