JD Tank Size Question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bennylax3

Who wants to go to Fire Lake?
Jan 3, 2004
Michigan
I have done research on the web and this site but could not come up with a good answer for the PROPER breeding tank size for a JD or similar sized CA American Cichlid. I have seen anything from a 55g (way to small) to a 150g tank (pretty big). I wanted to get your guys opinions.

I currently have three 1.25” EBJDs and plan to get a few JDs once the EBJDs get a little bigger. They currently are in a 20g High but will all end up in a 75gallon tank until I get a pair. Once I get a pair, the remaining JDs will be placed in other tanks or sold.

I guess the main question would be is if a 75g gallon is big enough for a breeding pair of JDs or should I eventually get a 120g. (90gallon is the same footprint of a 75g only a few inches taller).

Scott

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I would say a 75-90 gallon is fine for a breeding pair of JD's. Just use lots of visual barriers like rock work, driftwood, flower pots, etc...

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Yep a 75 should be just fine. Are you planing on creating EBJD? It's a very hard breeding process I attempted it once but money got tight so I had to quit. Good luck

bennylax3

Jan 3, 2004
Michigan
Thanks for the advise!

Well, as mentioned, I have 3 little EBJDs right now and it will be a while before they reach the breeding stage. I will get a some regular JDs once the EBJDs get bigger to hopefully reduce the chance of the EBJD getting picked on.

I know the process for breeding the EBJD and want to set my tank up for the capibilitly of breeding them down the road if choose to do so.

Scott

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Please tell me how it goes, a friend of mine just purchased one for $30, I'm looking into maybe buying some equipment and breeding myself.
Well you take male EBJD and cross it with a female blue gene inorder to get the blue gene jack Dempsey u must first cross the EBJD with a female regular jack Dempsey

bennylax3

Jan 3, 2004
Michigan
You do not want to cause inbreeding by mating the offspring back to the father. You can trade your blue gene JDs with another person mating, mate two pairs and switch the young, or if you can find them from a reputable person just buy them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store