Need help with my Goldie!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishieNewbie

Registered Member
Feb 14, 2009
:help:
Six months ago, I got a calico Comet Shubunkin from Wal-Mart and put it in the standard glass goldfish bowl. (I think it's a one-gallon??). Today, I was reading stuff on Yahoo Answers saying that it's cruel to keep a goldie in a glass bowl.. is this true?

Dr. Pepper is almost two inches long (fins included) and seems to have plenty of room in the bowl. I feed twice a day and clean the bowl weekly by taking out Doc P and rinsing down everything. Could I be hurting my fishie?

ALSO.. tonight, I found what seems to be strings of eggs floating at the waterline. There were about 5-10 tiny silvery beads in a row. Could Dr. Pepper be a girl?

Thanks for helping!!!

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
please please pleaseeeee take your fish out of the bowl and into at least a 10 or 15 gallon tank with a filter and some plants. it is cruel to keep any type of fish in a bowl without any filtration... please move Dr. Pepper (or Mrs. Dr. Pepper lol) as soon as you can!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
One gallon of space for a 2 inch goldfish is too small. You'll need to upgrade your setup very soon or find another home for the fish. But don't feel bad, pet stores do this all the time. They just sell what they can to anyone willing to put up some cash.

A 10 or 15 gallon tank will be good as a start. But that fish will outgrow even that space fairly soon, within the year. For long-term planning, estimate 16-20 gallons per goldfish. These aren't like regular tropical community fish, they need lots more water and at least twice the filtration.

Goldfish also need oxygenated water. They can't breathe air from the surface like a Betta can. For more general care information about keeping goldfish, look through our cold water forum. And post whatever questions you have. There's a wealth of info and experience here.

Welcome to the site, Fishie. It's nice to have you join us.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! I recommend you copy your post above, and start a thread in the Coldwater forums, where you will get many responses and help.

The forum is located at...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Use the "New Thread" icon near the top to start the thread.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Its not the "bowl" that is the problem... its the fact that most bowls are standing water with no filtration or aitation in the water.

This is VERY cruel and IMO it should be illegal to sell crap like that-- walmart needs to lose their license to sell fish in the first place because they are responsible for 75% of people with insufficient tank room and bad stock.

Not your fault as you didnt know-- but PLEASE get a 10gallon tank with a filter immediately

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
i agree that a 10-15 is only a start and that bowls are absolutely horrible... sorry i forgot to add that the tank size i listed before would only be a start... my bad but please change your goldies location ASAP... and if you think you h ave eggs i would invest in a fry net so they dont get sucked up into the filter.. welcome to AC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store