My 3665 Gallon Lined Plywood Tank Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I decided to start a new thread for the actual build since Mgamer2000 mentioned that the old thread had taken a drastic change in direction.

Here's the latest design for the 12'x8'x5' tank that I'm building in my fish room. You can see the upper bracing and the two different viewing window options 68x32x1 FREE glass or 92x44x2 Acrylic which I've decided that I'm going to go with.

Why have a room filled with tanks when you can have a tank that almost fills a room?

bracing.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks good. Can't wait to see this thread develop and especially the construction of the filtration system.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Where are you going to get a stealth heater the size of a garbage can though? Jokes aside, why not build/angle the sides closer to the viewing window? Or maybe build a "background" along the sides that would prevent fish from hiding in the blind spots at the front?

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
the title says "lined" plywood, what kink of liner are you using and how are seams made. is this like a pond liner which would be dropped in and the sides pulled up past the walls? I know this may be a stupid question but I am curious about the "liner". what type of filtering and lighting will be used here? oh and by the way WOOOOOW!!!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Nolapete, do I understand correct that this will be the main 'build-threat'?
Then you'd have the original running for filtration and other auxiliary equipment?

Confused and looking at the post of Todd, the way I understand, that post should be on your Plywood Tanks for Fishroom thread then....

??

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
Good luck with your build! One word of caution....make sure your access into the tank is adequate. Also, with regards to the question of heaters...we have never used a heater in our big tank - we use a 5hp pump, and that heats the water enough to maintain a steady 78 degrees.

Look forward to seeing more 'in progress'

Deb

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
I decided to start a new thread for the actual build since Mgamer2000 mentioned that the old thread had taken a drastic change in direction.

Here's the latest design for the 12'x8'x5' tank that I'm building in my fish room. You can see the upper bracing and the two different viewing window options 68x32x1 FREE glass or 92x44x2 Acrylic which I've decided that I'm going to go with.

Why have a room filled with tanks when you can have a tank that almost fills a room?
:headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2:

Kennedy327

fan-o-cichlid
Jan 12, 2009
Ohio
I will be following this. the wife only wants one tank, I think this is my solution, lol.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Luc, this is the new thread and all posts about the tank will be done here. The other thread is done. I probably should get the moderators to close that thread so people don't get confused.

Bob, I'll be taking pictures of the canister filter bodies today. They are only one part of the filtration system I'm planning. It will not be the massive one or two filter systems most people do with big tanks. It's going to be a variety of subsystems that each do a particular function.

toddnbecka, as Deb said, the heat from the pumps will provide the majority of the heating. The room has it's own AC unit which will be a necessary thing here in New Orleans. I'm going to have more trouble keeping the tank cool than keeping it warm. The sides of the front can't be angled because that wall is shared by my dining room which is the viewing room.

Deb, I'm not going with one big pump for a number of reasons. The cost to run them vs. running several smaller pumps is substantial. Redundancy in this system, and most public aquariums, is one of the most important concerns. I don't want to rely on one or two filters working for the tank to survive. As I mentioned, there's going to be quite a variety of subsytems doing particular functions.

xsdbs, My friend has 2 2600 gallon tanks with pond liners in them. He just folds the corners. I'm exploring the possibility of seaming the corners so that isn't an issue. That seems to be the main reason poeple don't like lined tanks. The liner is 45 mil if I remember correctly. Fish hiding isn't really going to be that much of a concern, though they will be able to, because I'm going with the 4x8 sheet of acrylic for the front.

Heading out to the garage to get started with the phase 1 of this project; making room in the garage to be able to move everything out of the current fish room.

Here's a short video I've posted before that shows one of my friend's 2600 gallon tanks. [YT]eRksEMXmBuw[/YT]

I'll add some pics of before, during, and after of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store