Freshwater or Brakish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goodharv

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
Crestline, Ohio
Does anyone really know what kind of water a Puffer should be in? It seems that the only one everyone will agree with is the Dwarf Puffer being freshwater. I have visited at least 10 different sites and have gotten very disgusted trying to figure out which are and which are not freshwater. I even joined this Forum trying to get more info, only to find out that nobody can agree which are which.

I currently have 2 Xenopterus naritus (Bronze) puffers and 4 Dwarf Puffers living in a community 75 gallon Freshwater tank. I have kept the Bronze Puffers in freshwater for about 6 months now and they seem to do great. They do not even bother my neons, surprisingly. I have tried and tried to do research on water compatabilities and maximum sizes for the Bronze puffer and have been told everything from a maximum size of 4.5" to as large as 11"!!

Can anybody help me figure out REAL facts on Freshwater Puffers? I would like to get other kinds but until I can get some REAL facts, I'll have to wait.

And before you ask, yes I have checked out Puffernet.com.

:help:

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
i want to say that they can be fresh when they are younger but as they get older they prefer brackish water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store