Kenyi Fry...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I picked up 2 TINY Kenyi's from my LFS yesterday for basically nothing

they were sooo cute I couldnt resist... I will post pics soon

but anyway I have a couple questions....

Right now they are about 2cm long....

1- How long should I let them grow out in the community tank before I add them in with the other cichlids?

2- How fast do they grow?

3- When will the males start turning yellow?

4- Should I get more of them?

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
ANYONE???

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I think you can put them with your other cichlids, after they reach 3/4 to 1 inch long. But, Kenyis are known for been much more aggressive than the species you have. Just one question: How are doing it the 2 rosy barbs with mbunas in your 55g? Also, this advice: As well as you have 5 yellow labs, I think you should have also 5 Aceis and 5 albino zebras IMHO; just to spread aggression. I'm not sure you should have adult kenyis with these species. Yellow male kenyis with yellow male labs...???

Last edited:

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I think you can put them with your other cichlids, after they reach 3/4 to 1 inch long. But, Kenyis are known for been much more aggressive than the species you have. Just one question: How are doing it the 2 rosy barbs with mbunas in your 55g? Also, this advice: As well as you have 5 yellow labs, I think you should have also 5 Aceis and 5 albino zebras IMHO; just to spread aggression. I'm not sure you should have adult kenyis with these species. Yellow male kenyis with yellow male labs...???

My cichlids are acctually fairly peaceful.. they havent touched my rosy barbs who are substantially smaller than them-- and I figure if I raise the kenyi WITH the labs they will tend to get along a lot better... if it doesnt work out they will be moved. also I am aware that male kenyis are yellow, but they look quite a bit different and also my labs are more orange then yellow for some reason.

I plan on getting more acies and zebras shortly as well.

and I also plan on slightly overstocking to cut down on agression-- this method can actually work very well in a cichlid tank

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Great! Post some pics soon.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Will do.. I have some pics of my labs up already-- but ill get some shots of the kenyis and the acies, and the zebras

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Are the fish you're referring to as Labidochromis the same as in your profile pic? If so, they look like psuedotropheus zebra ( Red ) to me. I would avoid Kenyi in your 55. They are terrorists, and it took me several tries before I gave up on them completely. In a species dedicated or extremely aggressive tank they're okay, but you list some more peaceful Mbuna in you 55 stocklist.
Also, the fact that you have Barbs isn't so terrible ( others will disagree ), but you should bump their numbers to 6-8 if you expect them to live. 2 will chase and nip each other to death and then start in on anything else they can nip at. Rosies get big, Tigers would be better for your purpose ( which I'm guessing is dither fish? ). Giant Danios work best for this IMO.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Are the fish you're referring to as Labidochromis the same as in your profile pic? If so, they look like psuedotropheus zebra ( Red ) to me. I would avoid Kenyi in your 55. They are terrorists, and it took me several tries before I gave up on them completely. In a species dedicated or extremely aggressive tank they're okay, but you list some more peaceful Mbuna in you 55 stocklist.
Also, the fact that you have Barbs isn't so terrible ( others will disagree ), but you should bump their numbers to 6-8 if you expect them to live. 2 will chase and nip each other to death and then start in on anything else they can nip at. Rosies get big, Tigers would be better for your purpose ( which I'm guessing is dither fish? ). Giant Danios work best for this IMO.

yes they are the same as my profile pic.. but they are definately Labidochromis.. my camera catches the light funny and they are acctually not that orange

they do have a bit of an orangish tint-- but I got them from a local club member who bred them, and his are yellow. also I can tell they arent zebras because they have the black fin and the personality of a Labidochromis. I have looked into it quite a bit and have confirmed what they are-- but I originally thought the same thing you did lol

Got the Kenyi as fry-- im gonna give these two a shot.. if they cause problems I will trade them in. but so far all the cichlids that people tell me will be troublesome have been very mellow for me

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I'd have to say you can add them as soon as they are no longer bite size. All fish are opportunistic eaters, If they can fit into one of your fish' mouths, I would avoid adding them in.

You can speed up their growth through more frequent water changes and maintenance and heavy feedings.

yeah they have been growing farily quickly. I just wondered what size a fish should be before adding it into the tank with the rest of them....

Thanks for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store