Emperor 400 Power Filter - questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shw104

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Hi everyone,

I have a 30 gallon, planted, community (freshwater) tank. My old aqua clear filter died and I had to quickly get a new filter.. I picked up a bio wheel filter (Emperor 400 Power Filter) and it is working great.. .tank has never looked better..

Two questions though:

1. in the past, i have not used any charcoal media in my filters.... in my aqua-clear, I simply loaded 3 foam media inserts and had good results... should i be using the charcoal media even if my tank is set up and working well? i do have them in now, and my tank has never looked better. it does look much cleaner but I don't know if it's the charcoal or just the new filter.

2. in the bio-wheel filter, there are two inserts that are not the normal foam/charcoal combo inserts that came with the filter. the two inserts are basically empty screens that look like they can be filled with another media (perhaps more loose charcoal). anyone have any ideas what these are for and if I should be using them. ( i currently am not). the instructions do not give a lot of detail on their use.

Thanks!!!
Scott

Kevin S.

Barb Wired
Jan 3, 2009
Derry, NH
I wouldnt bother with the charcoal, it loses its effectiveness rather quickly and I dont use it in any of my tanks. The extra screen type thing u refer to I believe isnt meant to be filled it is just to grab more of the excess food and fish waste and adds more area for beneficial bacteria. Im sure there will be others who can verify or dispute this though. Good luck.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I do not use charcoal, I use the insets to add this...

and only this..my 29 is always crystal clear. and the cost is easy on the pocket book

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I wouldnt bother with the charcoal, it loses its effectiveness rather quickly and I dont use it in any of my tanks. The extra screen type thing u refer to I believe isnt meant to be filled it is just to grab more of the excess food and fish waste and adds more area for beneficial bacteria. Im sure there will be others who can verify or dispute this though. Good luck.
the insert is to add more filter media, charcoal, or other things for extra bio media. I just use these inserts to put my cut to fit pads in.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can actually use those inserts for any additional media you might want to use. I have added floss or blue bonded pad cut to fit, to help polish the water. I put one in the rear slots on the left and one in the front slots on the right, but I don't think it really matters.

If your Aquaclear media hasn't already dried out, you can slice the foam pad and insert in the new filter to help seed the new filter otherwise your tank may go through a mini cycle.

shw104

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
I have bio-media packed into those plastic inserts.
Do you mean something like this: NanoDynamics ReeFresH20 Bio Media Cartridge - Marineland Emperor

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18401/si3762789/cl0/nanodynamicsreefresh20biomediacartridgemarinelandemperor

Is this a bit of a overkill: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/power_filter_tricks_v.php

I guess the question is additional bio-media of some type or additional general filtration (foam, etc).

Thanks.. great responses.. much appreciated.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The gray plastic insert are for media of your choice such as bio-rings, more floss. charcoal, etc. If you do not use charcoal you do not "need" to use it now either. I personally do not use it either and have found it to lack any beneficial value for my tanks. It is a personal choice or need and will vary from person to person.

Due to having an Oscar I use 2 400's on a 90 gallon tank and use filter floss for filtration as it lasts longer, is cheaper by far, and works as well as or better than the cartridges.

Aquario72

Tiburon
Jul 18, 2008
Emperor 400

Hi everyone,

I have a 30 gallon, planted, community (freshwater) tank. My old aqua clear filter died and I had to quickly get a new filter.. I picked up a bio wheel filter (Emperor 400 Power Filter) and it is working great.. .tank has never looked better..

Two questions though:

1. in the past, i have not used any charcoal media in my filters.... in my aqua-clear, I simply loaded 3 foam media inserts and had good results... should i be using the charcoal media even if my tank is set up and working well? i do have them in now, and my tank has never looked better. it does look much cleaner but I don't know if it's the charcoal or just the new filter.

2. in the bio-wheel filter, there are two inserts that are not the normal foam/charcoal combo inserts that came with the filter. the two inserts are basically empty screens that look like they can be filled with another media (perhaps more loose charcoal). anyone have any ideas what these are for and if I should be using them. ( i currently am not). the instructions do not give a lot of detail on their use.

Thanks!!!
Scott

I've had my tank now for 13 years, and one of the two filters I run in it has been an Emperor 400, simply put they are awesome. You won't find another filter which will give the level of realibility and performance for the price you'll pay for it, and the bio-wheels will keep your tank very healthy.
Onlything I will recommend if your running charcoal inserts (the blue foamy filters) you can put additional biological medeia in the gray baskets. They will provide you with additional living area for the nitrifiying bacteria and will help you maintain your ecosystem within your tank healthy.

Another tip I will give you if yo have live plants in your tank, and you have one of the Emperor 400 with adjustable flow, turn it down a bit, because you don't want the surface of the water to be adgitated. Agitaton of the surface of the water will evaporate the CO2 content of the tank a lot quicker, and we all know live plants thrive in the correct CO2 levels.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
on my 50g tank i run an emperor 400 and don't even bother with the pre-made filter pads. i just stuffed the plastic inserts with poly-fill (pillow stuffing) and that's it. i think using the pillow stuffing allows more water flow at the same time it traps more debris than a normal blue filter pad. it has a lot of dimension and surface area opposed to just a flat panel of fabric.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store