Keyhole Cichlid and Lemon Tetra Going at it!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
Ok, I just bought a keyhole cichlid, and as soon as I put him in the tank, my lemon tetra started this weird, sort of aggressive behavior. It looks like the tetra is trying to rub the sides of his body against the keyhole, and in general acting very agitated, circling around the keyhole, swimming fast back and forth, etc.

Does the tetra think he's about to get laid, and this is mating behavior? (Their body profiles are similar, though coloring is different.) Or is he being territorial? Am I going to wake up with a dead fish tomorrow, and if so, any bets on who goes first?

Should I isolate one of them? Get another lemon tetra or keyhole as a distraction?

It's stressing my wife out--she likes a nice friendly community tank!

Other fish are all mellow, not paying attention to the keyhole.

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
1 lemon tetra--the last of an original shoal of 6 I had, first purchased about 5 years ago. A few rummy-nose tetras. (Some rasboras the only other shoaling fish.)

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
38 gallon tank, heavily planted. Get more lemons? Or would other tetras do? I prefer the rummies...very mellow, beautiful coloring. But the ones in my LFS had very pale coloring...almost no red on their noses. Is that something to worry about?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Yup, get more lemons - IME tetras of different species may try to hang out near each other sometimes, but do not school together the way the same species will. It is pretty much a guarantee this behavior will end if you get more lemons (say at least 4 more). And yes, I would say that pale noses is a sign of poor health in rummies, and they are pretty sensitive fish anyway so I wouldn't risk getting weak ones.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
If you prefer the rummies and have only 1 5 year old Lemon left, I'd say to reurn him to the LFS and add a rummie or 3. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store