Injured Goldfish! Help..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArdytheKoi

Registered Member
Feb 14, 2009
I recently got rid of a crawfish because he started attacking one of the goldfish and I didn't have a seperate tank for him. I've had both the goldfish and crawfish for over a year and the crawfish never attacked any of the other fish before, which I think the reason is he's gotten bigger and more confident. My goldfish's fins are healing nicely, but for some reason just this morning he started acting sluggish. He's barely swimming, just letting himself float around aimlessly in the tank. I don't know if maybe he has some internal injury I didn't know about, or what's the matter with him. All I know is I don't want him to die. Please give me some good advice.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Hello Ardy, Welcome to AC! :welcome:

Goldfish and crawfish are never good tankmates - namely, because just as yours did, once the crawfish is large enough he will attack the goldfish.
You didn't mention what size tank this is, what kind of filter you are running, or what your water parameters are. That information is going to be very important for us in determining if your goldfish is just sluggish because he is injured, or if there is something else going on.
What's very important now is that you move the crawfish to another tank (a rubbermaid or tupperware tub is a great temporary home) and that you do a large water change and filter cleaning. The clean water will help your goldfish heal up as quickly as possible, and it will minimize the risk of infection.
Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store