Product Review: Marineland Penguin HOB Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Company:
Marineland

Model:
Penguin 150 Power Filter

Link to product description:
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=2006&mid=3226

Price range:
$25-$50, model 100-350

Pros:
The Bio-Wheel is a great way to transfer biological media from filter to filter or tank to tank, especially from HOB to canister filter. Some Bio Wheels are interchangeable with other Marineland filters, including those in Eclipse tanks. All Penguin models have two strainers: one on the bottom of the intake tube like every other HOB filter, but also one in the middle of the intake tube. This makes water circulation great for a HOB filter. Also, the long intake is great for taller tanks. Cartridges are easy to find, replace, and read for proper media changing. The carbon inside is great quality.

Cons
The media selection isnt the best for these filters, especially compared to AC flters or canister filters, but this is easily rectified with the use of the media basket that comes with all 200's and 350's. Also, the two-piece media cover can be a pain, especially if it slips and begins to vibrate agains the plastic filter box.

Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)

How long have you used the product?
I used these filters, I had two Penguin 150's, before they were replaced with a Marineland C-360. They were replaced purely because of good fortune on my part, and had I not won the C-360 they would still be running on my tank today.

Build quality and value for your money.
The build quality on these filters is great, but there was one problem I had. Before i initially set up my tank, one of the filters was cracked. Probably not Marineland's fault or bad filter plastic quality, but it should be noted. As for value, there is really no other filter that filters as well for the same money. Ac's are quite a bit more in my area, and the Penguins do such a good job that I would not hesitate getting another.

Other comments
Many talk about excess noise from Penguin filters, such as the "water dripping" sound, but this is easily fixed by filling the tank up to where the outlets of the filters are seen under the surface of the water. At that pont, there are totally silent.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i have 2 penguin 350's w/ bio wheels and never had a problem and dont find it diffucult to reassemble. if i have a electric outage my filters have always restarted with out any help.

Blues14

Back in the Game
Mar 3, 2009
I was running a Rena fx3 canister and 2 penguin hob 350's on my 180g tank......I just sold off my Penguin 350's for another Rena fx3. Those Penguins are loud and obnoxious IMO.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i agree the H.O.B. magnums are great filters, HOWEVER I have been using the 350 model for 2 years on my 55 and think it's not worth the poop it filters.
difficult to re=assemble, not self priming , and low flow.

JMO
if your filter's not putting out enough flow, it could be because of clogged media or intake

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
they do work good for what they do and are fairly inexpensive... i dont like the noise when the water is below the return ramp its really loud!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Filter: Penguin 100 and 150.

Length of use: 2 years.

Pros: Water pump is consistently strong. Restarts from power outages without fail. Priming is quick and easy. Very quiet filter when water level is kept high.

Cons: The slightest amount of debris in the impeller area will slow down water flow sufficiently to cause the bio-wheels to quit rotating. The Penguin 100 lacks sufficient room for alternative medias

Recommendations: Short-comings as stated above do not detract from the overall usefulness of these filters. The 100 is strong enough for tanks as large as 20 gallons if it is lightly stocked. On a 10 gallon it creates quite a bit of turbulence for such a small tank, however it agitates the water sufficiently to keep it well oxygenated.

While I would not consider these to be high-end filters, I would recommend them to be used on litghtly stocked tanks. I have watched them develop beneficial bacteria in the bio-wheel area and state that they do work as intended.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store