Product Review: Marineland C-Series

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Company
Marineland

Model
C-Series Canister Filter

Link to product description
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=1998&mid=3226
Price range
$125-$300, for C-160 to C-530

Pros
Setup is very easy. The trays are easy to fit together, and the media fits great in the trays. In addition, the trays are huge and hold massive amounts of media, mechanical, biological, or chemical. The GPH output is great even filled with media, and there is no bypass. This filter keeps my tank super clean and well aerated despite being a canister. Also, this filter hold quite a bit of water, more than I first thought.

Cons
The first few times that the filter is put together, the key that lucks the hoses into the filter can be very stiff to turn, almost to the point where it seems like it will break if it is turned any further. The media can be difficult to find short of ordering on the internet. There is no factory spray bar attachment.

Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)

How long have you used the product?
My C-360 has been up for about 8 months now

Build quality and value for your money.
The build quality on these filters, simply put, is amazing. The plastics are all strong and very high quality. All of the parts fit together very well, and the double seals on the filter head ensure that it will not leak.

In terms of value for the money, I must first say that I won this filter in a raffle from Aquarium Fish Magazine, so I did not technically purchase the filter. That said, given my experience with it now i can truly say that I would not hesitate to purchase another. The price of this filter used to be much higher than it is now, but as of right now it is a great deal for the level of filtration that it allows.

Other comments
I have read some negative reviews about C-Series filters leaking or being inefficient, but I can honestly say that these errors must be operator errors, or from aftermarket additions to the filters. I have yet to have a problem with my filter, and I know of many other who have had the same filters since the debut and have had no problems.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I will add that I also have not seen any problems with my C360. I bought it used on Ebay from someone who upgraded his tank, and all the parts were there and in good condition, like new. I have almost all biomedia in it, and it keeps my tank nearly pristine despite my sometimes haphazard WCs. I've had mine up and running for over 6 months (closer to 7). I give it 5 stars.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
i have a C360 on a 72 gal tank and i love it! it does a great job keeping the water clean and it has a great amount of room for biomedia

5/5 stars!!!!!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Nearly 2 and 1/2 years after this review, my C-360 is still filtering flawlessly. I have yet to see any problems with filter and can say that initial efficiency and leaking problems were completely due to operator error. As I said before, this filter is performing as well as it did on day 1. Would still buy another C-series canister without a second thought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store