Product Review: Marineland Emperor Power Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
Company Marineland

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT] Emperor 400BD

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=2011&mid=3226

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT] 45.00 to 60.00

[FONT=&quot]Pros [/FONT]Comes with 2 custom media baskets in addition to the cartridges, runs pretty quiet.

[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT] Starting full water flow is often a pain when setting up or after large water changes. Cartridges are expensive, but Drs. Foster and Smith sell a nice replacement called Bio3 that is very affordable, especially when you buy the 24 pack.

[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT]
2 years

[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money. [/FONT]
I haven't had to replace any parts on this thing since I got it 2 years ago, which before that it was used in someone else's tank for quite some time. I've had many filters over the years, and this is the only one I can say that about. The Bio3 replacement cartridges make this thing run like a beauty, though even with the brand name cartridges, it's a pretty nice setup. I use this on my 38 gallon with high waste fish, and still only have to change the media every 6 weeks. Never had an ammonia spike with this filter, or ugly dirty water, and that was even including when I was poor and couldn't replace my cartridges for 4 months! That's what I call dependable!
[FONT=&quot]Other comments [/FONT]

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Company Marineland

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT] Emperor 400. Emperor 280

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT] http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=2011&mid=3226

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT] $30.00 to $60.00

[FONT=&quot]Pros [/FONT]Both models have a significant amount of room for media. Each compartment has two slide-in slots for a drop-in cartridge, and a plastic slide-in box for chemical or mechanical media, plus the bio-wheel for biological filtration. The newer models also come with a strainer extension that has a mid-level intake screen.

[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT]Like most power filters, buying the replacement cartridges gets expensive. I tend to use lava rock for biomedia and filter floss for mechanical media in my power filters, so this isn't as much of an issue for me. They can be difficult to restart after a large water change (if the tank water level gets low enough that it breaks the siphon in the intake tube) - this is easily fixed by pouring a cup of water into the back of the filter, however it should be noted that its not quite as easy as plug it back in and forget it. Also, if you are extremely sensitive to trickling water noises, the biowheels can also be a downside as they do make some noise.

I have several, the oldest being almost 10 years now.

I like these filters a lot. The biowheel noise doesn't bother me, and I skirt the expensive media replacement as noted above. They have proven themselves to be quite dependable. I have historically tended to buy these over Aquaclear filters as I have always found the comparable AC filters to be more expensive. I would say they are a great value and very dependable.

[FONT=&quot]Other comments [/FONT]
none

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Marineland Emperor 400

Own 2 for 2 years

Pros: Gph, large media area, included media baskets. Relatively quiet for design and volume of water. Spray bars cause the bio-wheels to rotate rather than volume in spillway. Able to use alternate medias rather than the manufacturer cartridge.

Cons: trying to restart after water changes and clean-outs is time consuming and can be frustrating. Filter catridge costs. Mine have never failed to restart after popwer outage.

Recommendation: Good value for the money.

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
Company Marineland

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT] Emperor 400. Emperor 280

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]http://www.marineland.com/sites/Mari...=2011&mid=3226

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT] $30.00 to $60.00

[FONT=&quot]Pros 100% agree with above I have the 280 on my 50 gal with a UGF and have no filtration issues[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cons [/FONT]slight noise from biowheel

5 star

I have several years now.

Top of the line filter

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
Company
Marineland
[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]
280 400
[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT]
don't have to worry about motors leaking (like some other filters) has extra chambers for media, easy to change media, long lasting
[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT]
can be noisy (although no where near as loud as my protein skimmers, but they can keep you up at night if you are a light sleeper and it is in your bedroom). A couple of mine will not restart after the power goes out (2 of the 6 I have have this issue, don't know why).
7-10 yrs (I have 3 280s and 3 400s bought over the course of 3 yrs)
good
[FONT=&quot]Other comments[/FONT]
even with the start up problem with the two I still think these are some of the best hob filters I have used (I've had lots of different ones).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store