Apistogramma Cockatoos breeding tips

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Hello all,

I currently have 1 male and 1 female Double Red Cockatoos in a heavily planted 10 gallon aquarium. This is the second time they have successfully breed in this tank. My fish had fry about 6 days ago. The fry have been eating from moss balls that I have in there (they seem to like it). I have also tried feeding them baby brine shrimp and artemia. Not sure on the success with that. There are a few other small tetras in the tank but I cant see them bothering the fry so far. Okay, here is the problem though.

The first time they had babies, they ate them about a week after they were born. They protected them and then suddenly just ate them one day. Today, I setup a small 5 gallon tank with the basics, airstone, heater, a few decorations. Nothing else.

I am thinking that if I move the parents to this temporary tank I will be giving the fry a better chance at survival. Do you think this is a good idea? Any tips would be great as I'd really like to see this group of fry survive.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would remove the fry to the 5 gallon tank and leave the parents alone. Five gallons is too small for the apistos IMO and you'll be left with the option of leaving the newer tank bare-bottom which will make it easier to keep the tank as clean as possible, especially with the heavy fry feeding.

I understand you'll be left to remove the fry from a planted tank at the expense of the parents, but to me it seems like the easiest option in terms of fry survival.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
i was considering moving the fry also... not quite sure. what would you feed the fry?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
x2

will you be selling the fry soon?????

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can try thawed frozen cyclops, rotifers, hikari first bites. Good luck! I recently got some double red cac babies, so cute!

We had better luck moving parents of bigger cichlids rather than fry...not sure 5g is big enough for fry for long but I've seen some big male adults that I would'nt put in a 5...

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
Yeah, the Male is very large I would say. He's the biggest dwarf cichlid I've ever seen.

If I keep up with the water changes I think moving the fry to the 5 Gallon will be my best bet. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to catch those little things.

You can try thawed frozen cyclops, rotifers, hikari first bites. Good luck! I recently got some double red cac babies, so cute!

We had better luck moving parents of bigger cichlids rather than fry...not sure 5g is big enough for fry for long but I've seen some big male adults that I would'nt put in a 5...

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I don't think its the parents eating them. I can't see mommy taking care of eggs and fry and protecting them for five days then turning around and eating them. I just don't see it happening. (I have a breeding trio myself). They either eat their fry or not.

Are you feeding them live BBS?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store