would mbuna work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
well as most of you know im fighting ick and losing the battle... may look at mbuna if i fail completely. i was thinking mabye turn my 35 to a mbuna tank. my proposed stock for my tank is:
1 female auratus(much prettyier than males IMO)
1 red zebra
2 yellow labs
1 blue johanni

my tank is 30x12x18 i believe

thanks for any help in advance!

also how do you pronounce mbuna?

Last edited:

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I wouldn't attempt mbuna in that tank. IMHO you'd need at least 55 gallons to stock in the appropriate M/F ratios to curb aggression. Also, mbuna are extremely active fish and need space to swim and claim territories. I just don't think your tank would afford them enough space to do so.

If you are able to keep a larger tank for mbuna, I would suggest removing the auratus from the stock list. They have a reputation for being quite ill-tempered. ;)

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
35 is WAY to small for most cichlids.. especially mbuna

also.. I would work on getting your ich under control before looking into restocking lol

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would work on getting your ich under control before looking into restocking lol
I agree totally with this. But, this tank has the same length of a 20gal long or a 29gal; so, what about adding 6 dwarf mbunas of a single species in it? Pseudotropheus saulosi may be the best for this, in a sex ratio of 1 male and 5 females with plenty of rockwork. Pittbull is trying it and I think it is really possible.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
So far my 20gal long P. Saulosi are fine and are doing well no fatalities no aggression but i do consider myself a novice in the hobby with 23 years of fish keeping experience..

With a less than experienced new hobbyist these smaller tanks could really test a new hobbyist in the sense there could be no slacking in care and feeding with no other tankmates..

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I agree totally with this. But, this tank has the same length of a 20gal long or a 29gal; so, what about adding 6 dwarf mbunas of a single species in it? Pseudotropheus saulosi may be the best for this, in a sex ratio of 1 male and 5 females with plenty of rockwork. Pittbull is trying it and I think it is really possible.

Dwarfs should be fine in those ratios

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
If you like Africans you could do a really nice Tanganyikan tank in there...leilupi, calvus...other stuff :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store