Real or fake plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

case_rums

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
CT
Visit site
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered over and over again, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm planning on a rather large custom made pentagon/hexagon tank in the near future. I was originally going to do a reef setup, but don't have the time, money, etc. So now I'm wanting to do a FW setup. I'm planning on carved rock column in the "middle" of the tank. I have two options really. The first is to carve planting pockets into the rock and stick real potted plants in. The second is to glue fake plants to the rock. Getting light to the bottom won't be a problem, I'm planning on having fiber optic lights through-out the rock/aquarium.

Any suggestions/opinions? And thanks in advance.

case_rums

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
CT
Visit site
This is sortof what I'm thinking. I know it looks crappy, and is small, but you should get the idea :D

Fishtank concept.

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if you should use fake or real plants? If so, allow me to speak for everyone here... real plants :D

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
bawlsy, what were you expecting us to say on the plant forum.....naaaaah, put that fake stuff in there!!??!!
BTW, your design looks pretty nice!! Just one question.....what kind of fish is that little yellow one in the middle? Never saw one of those.
Lose the potted plant idea though. Go with Anubia and other plants that will root into the wood.

Len

case_rums

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
CT
Visit site
No idea what type of fish any of them are. Maybe I should add stripes to the orange one and call it a clown loach:D

I know I know, I should have expected that. I'd like to do real plants, I just don't know if they'll last/live. I'm planning on having a couple clown loaches, a couple blue botia, an eel of some sort (I think), and probably some gorami's (sp). The brown piece is actually not going to be wood. It's going to be stone which I will carve into a shape similar to that. That's why I was thinking potted plants might be better. The rock will have holes through-out it for hiding in, as well as for plants.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think if you stick with tough, low light plants like anubias nana and java fern you will be fine. Shouldn't really be much maintenance to keep these plants alive. If you plan on planting in the bottom as well some crypts would probably do ok as well.

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Originally posted by Captain Hook
I think if you stick with tough, low light plants like anubias nana and java fern you will be fine. Shouldn't really be much maintenance to keep these plants alive.
Agreed. Nana and java fern will even grow right into the cracks in the rock/wood structure, keeping it in place.

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I agree with the idea about low-light plants. It will cut down maintenance and you can get the hang of plant keeping if you haven't done it before.

I think the fish might be an albino tiger barb. You should really get more than one :p.

Graeme

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store