Clownfish and yellow tailed damsel help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
Hey, yesterday I got 2 occillaris clowns to put in my 29 gallon tank which I already have a yellow tailed blue damsel. Previously, I tried putting a second yellow tail in but he was extremely aggressive towards him and he was very stressed. I am prepared to give away my damsel if necessary but i'm not sure if I should or not. The clownfish have not really gone into the live rock but have just swam pretty high up in the tank, is this normal? Also, the clowns are eating and do not seem stressed and are still swimming around. -- The damsel is on guard of the rock though and I don't think will let the clowns inside of it but just around it. -- Also the clowns just stayed at the top when I first put them in, and the damsel was out of the tank for at least 4 hours. And the clowns never left the top. Do you think I should get rid of the damsel? It has lunged a couple times at the clowns but not very agressivly. - If it continues I will get rid of him for sure!-- but do you think it might stop with a bit of time? do you think the clowns are in any danger? Thanks alot!!!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Unfortunately 3 damsels together is probably not going to work. They are all quite terratorial. Your clowns should be OK, but mixing them with a yellow tail (or any other kind of damsel) isn't a recipe for an easy ride;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store