Product Review: Jebo Canister Filter 5 Ply 829

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Company
Jebo
[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]
Jebo Canister Filter 5 Ply 829
[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]
http://www.shopjebo.com/62/aquarium_canister_filter_5_ply_829_detail.aspx
[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT]
According to their web page its 90.95$ USD, But they are sold on ebay from NewWaveFish for a little cheaper, i got two for about 135$ USD with 10$ shipping.
[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT]
Cheap! I Didn't have any problems, except trying to figure out how to use it (1st canister filter) but once I got them figured they seem really nice, and really quite. Also they came with the media! My tank looks super clear now. And a 12 month warranty.
[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT]
The hard tubes are a little warped, not to much of big deal, this is my first canister filter so I'm not sure if all canister filter tubes are a little crooked. And there was Goop, or some kind of lubricant all over inside the tubes, it was a little difficult to clean without pipe cleaners. According to other reviews they are not as powerful as they say they are, but i cant tell.
[FONT=&quot]
Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)
[/FONT]
5 so far

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT]
1 day
[FONT=&quot]
Build quality and value for your money.
[/FONT]
Seems like a good steal.
[FONT=&quot]
Other comments
They seem high quality, i was comparing them to the Fluval filters at the LFS, and they didnt seem any less quality. I would like to here more review from people on them, to prevent anything bad from happening in the future, im in constiant worry that somethings going break some where and empty my tank out onto my floor while im sleeping. I woke up and checked it 3 times![/FONT]

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
i have the exact one had it for over a year, great filter but its a pain in the butt to start the prime,
make sure you fill it up as far as you can before trying to prime it, which is not what they tell you, but it easier i find,.. have it on my 46 bow, work great no problems except for the pump prime round button it some times stick in and take a while to come back out, and the ball shut off valves spin 360, so hard to tell when closed all the way when disconnecting, keep and eye on the mine wasn't closed all the way and before i knew it i had a large puddle when i went to sink with filter to clean it,

but other than that its a great filter works fine but i left my emperor 400 on the tank also for back up

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1838677

rnocera

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Is this filter still running for you? Any complaints about it yet? Still think it's as sturdy as a Fluval? I'm getting ready to buy another Eheim classic in the next month or so, and for about $20 more I can get two of these, so I'm really thinking about it.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I agree for the money they are a decent filter and do what they are made to do. I have one I picked up used from a friend for cheap and its been running 6 months or so and no problems. I'm just not sure how easy it will be to get a part for it if I should break something tho so I use extreme caution when I am cleaning it. No they are not eheim quality but then again they are not priced like a ehiem filter is either. I feel you get your money's worth with this canister.

gun_slinger2006

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2009
Just got a Jebo 829 off of e-bay and set it up yesterday(Friday). I've never used a canister filter before so I can't compare with others but here's what I experienced.

The box came with everything as advertised and was well packed. The instructions are like listening to a chinaman speaking broken english but are understandable. There's a little tube of what they call sealent. It is for putting on the O-rings and main seal to keep them from binding. Like the original poster, the tubes had some kind of lube in them (seemed to be the same stuff in the little tube) but wasn't that hard to remove. Sorta like a vasoline type product. I used Dawn dish liquid(because Dawn will rinse completely away) and a brush, rag, hot water and papertowls to remove it. The whole setup was rinsed thoroughly and wiped off(no Dawn was used here, just on the hard tubes) including the impeller and housing wich was faily straight forward.

The filter came with ceramic media, carbon in a plastic mesh, filter sponge and floss all fitted to the trays. Quote from the instruction "The placement of filter material provide the reference only".

As far as stoutness, it seems to be fairly robust. I've seen post where some didn't think the housing latches were all that but keep in mind that it is made of PLASTIC so I didn't overly force anything. If something doesn't seem to fit see why first, don't force it.

From the time I opened the box to when water was flowing though the filter was about 2 hours but I wasn't rushing anything either.

The flow is not anywhere near what they advertise and couldn't say what it actually is but it ain't 200+ gph. I saw a video on you-tube on how to modify a power head to increase flow and by monday that will be done. If you want to see the modification, google Jebo 829.

I guess for the price, (filter+ shipping $96 and some change)not a bad unit and I am thinking of getting anotherone or may two.

Hope this helps some.

shenzhenluohan

土包子
May 28, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I have 3 of them all over a year old and apart from the quick connectors on the hoses being very fragile they work without a hitch, I really like the stacking media trays as well. I give it a 4 out of 5 just because i break the qiuck connectors often... the flow isn't as strong as it claims, but the system seems quite powerful in that it can get quite clogged befor the flow lessens any.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
Ya its still running, but i have had a lot of air getting in. Need to seal it more. And its a pain to prime. Honestly i use two for my 55g, but one Ehiem might be as powerful as both of them. But they work fine. Also one head needs to be replaced. I would say they are doing about 160 GPH but i havnt tested it so im not sure.

Nue

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Salt Lake City
Real Name
Grayson
No typo. Was a review, and looking for feedback. But that was 7 months ago. I currently have one out of order, because the connector broke, they are fragile ash Shenz said and about 20$ to replace. When the connector broke (recently) it pumped about 10 gallons of water onto my carpet until i noticed it :( now i have a carpet problem :( need to take my 55g down and clean the carpet underneath. This time im protecting the carpet, and will never again not.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I found this old review doing research on the net ironically bringing me here LOL. I have always wanted to try the Jebo 829 and found a great deal on one but after hearing the reviews of the material quality issues in such a short time frame it was enough to not consider it. But I due appreciate these honest reviews which helped me make a decision.

Looks like the Mag 350 is still the only 100 gallon canister filter under $100 you can buy who's parts can last 20 years without failing and in fact are still sold at that age on Zbay for a considerable amount of their original sales value.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store