30 gallon question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deliv

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
im getting a 30 gallon with everything ... but im wondering what kind of shrimp to put in it ... i would like some variety but im a cichlid guy so these are out of my expertise ... also what is a good number of shrimp to have in a 30 gallon planted tank ?

thanks a bunch

mike

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
what else will you have in the tank? Most if not all cichlids will make short work of any shrimp. If you've never had shrimp before and want to start off light I would recommend red cherry shrimp. They are as fascinating as any other shrimp and are a hardy species that can live in a variety of water conditions.

deliv

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
my cichlids are severums and juruparis in my 125 ... this is going to be a planted tank with chili rasboras , otos, and some shrimp :D

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
maybe someone with more cichlid/invert experience can chime in. I've never kept cichlids. If you want a cheap trial run you can try a few ghost shrimp to start off. About 2-3 shrimp for $1 so no big hit to your wallet.

deliv

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
lol what i mean is that i have a seperate tank with cichlids ... no shrimp in this one :p

this one is only going to be shrimp small schooling fish and otos :p

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
well in that case, shrimp have low bioload so you can start off with about 10-15 shrimp per gallon of water after considering your other fish. This might not seem like a lot but it's good to leave room for when their population explodes, which it will if you just keep the water clean and provide cover. Give them lots and lots of plant cover and their population should still thrive despite the fish. The smaller the size and number of fish, the more adventurous and prolific your shrimp will be.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
im getting a 30 gallon with everything ... but im wondering what kind of shrimp to put in it ... i would like some variety but im a cichlid guy so these are out of my expertise ... also what is a good number of shrimp to have in a 30 gallon planted tank ?

thanks a bunch

mike
Make sure that whatever filter you decide upon that the intake is adequately covered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store