Driftwood...safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew what kinds of wood was ok to put into a aquarium. I went ridin on the 4 wheeler today on the farm and found a bunch of cedar that was good and dead. I found this one cool peice and I believe it is cedar but I found it down on the creek and all that wood came from way upstream from when the creek flooded twice. It would go good in my 55gal. and maybe even fit in my 20gal. Is there any DIY articles or links about safe driftwood and how to sanatize it? Thanks Oh BTW here we have alot of Cedar and Oak...and walnut trees.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
later? I should have brought it home..but my girlfriend was ridin with me and I didn't want her to hold it the whole way home...I'd rather her hold me haha.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Right on :lol: :perv: alot of wood is not aquarium safe best to identify with a pic
Alright I'll get a pic sometime in the next couple of days. Tomorrows supposted to be cold....going 40-50mph on a 4 wheeler hurts your face when its snowing outside haha. :help:

edh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
"Chicagoland"
Cedar is a soft wood hard woods are better.

And I am almost certain that I have heard not to use cedar or evergreens.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Alright thanks! I'll check into that and get a pic of that one peice of wood. I believe its cedar but its so old its hard to tell...my dad would know so I'll just ask him too. Thanks!

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
You can stick a piece of cedar into the moist ground and come back years later to find it still intact. Anything that naturally resists rotting in the ground won't be going into one of my tanks. I am not sure what the oils and such are made of but I don't want them in my water.
The only woods that I would trust are some of the denser hardwoods. One of those to avoid is walnut. Walnut is able to significantly reduce plant competition by releasing materials into the soil. Again, I don't want that in my tank water.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Ok thanks. I know Cedar posts last a LONG TIME. My grandpa burns out most of the stumps in the woods so there is no cool wood lying around in the woods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store