Percula ClownFish Mouth Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
Hi folks. My tank hates me, though I love it.. So fight I will.

My clown fish has his mouth open and its almost white.. He is normal colours.. params are normal 1.023-24 salinity.. I've looked around trying to diagnose this with much failure for everyone just answers what params or some foreign parasite that nobody knows about so here I am hopefully I can get a decent opinion. :) Well he isnt breathing fast or hard..and his mouth is just swollen and open.. He is hiding in the back of the tank and I'd love to find out what is causing this issue.. if it is a mouth fungus or bacteria infection or maybe he had it out with one of my shrimp... Anyways any info is good info... I'll see if i can get my webcam to focus on the little guy for a picture..

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
The one on the right.. the best pic I could get without grabbing the fish out of the tank.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Looks more like an illness than an injury.. ill leave this one to a SW expert :)

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
I did a water change today to see if it would help.. he died few hours later. My other one is showing similar symptons now his lips are pale white.. though probably at the beginning stage because they dont appear to be deteriorating or swollen at this current time.. it could be my immagination making me want to believe that he is now sick to.. they were mated.. unfortunatly. Makes me wonder if all the contact they made has spread the illness.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
Her mouth is now open quite wide.. and pale. the other fish do not seem to be affected by this.. I presume he will only last till tomorrow sometime.. the last one only survived 24 hours from the time I noticed.. and I spend atleast 2 hours a day just staring at my fish aquariums.. thats not inlcuding water changes and param checks etc. I'm certain now she/he is sick and on the same path.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
OMG... so sorry

I wish I knew more about reef tanks-- all I can really do here is give you a bump

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
Between mantis shrimp and this I wont have anything left other then a few snails and hermits.. I've become very depressed and unmotivated.. Hope things get better :(

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
dont let it get you down man... fish keeping has its lows and ups-- but the ups make it worthwhile

Roman09

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
One my perculas has the same issue. I saw it about 2 days ago only to be gettng worse. Mine is not white all around but more like it's in his lower mandible. Seems a little reddish pink also. I too though it was from an injury but I don't know now. Could it be something we fed? Maybe it's a parasite. When I bought it it was next to another one and he had a parasite coming out just below the eye. I bought another and it seemed like it cheered up. I added some aquarium salt who knows. I feel like popping it.. Kinds looks like. Pimple. What do you feed it??

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
One my perculas has the same issue. I saw it about 2 days ago only to be gettng worse. Mine is not white all around but more like it's in his lower mandible. Seems a little reddish pink also. I too though it was from an injury but I don't know now. Could it be something we fed? Maybe it's a parasite. When I bought it it was next to another one and he had a parasite coming out just below the eye. I bought another and it seemed like it cheered up. I added some aquarium salt who knows. I feel like popping it.. Kinds looks like. Pimple. What do you feed it??
Any way to get a good pic? It sounds as though it has escalated into an infection. I don't really want to recommend anything without being able to see it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store