Breeding signs of Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Just a quick q. What are the typical breeding signs of angelfish??? The only reason I am asking is because at one of the corners of my tank, they have a little pit dug. Not to mention that they always travel around the tank in pairs. I have noticed one to be a little nippy at the other every once in a while. Since this is my first time of keeping angels, I am not familiar with their breeding habits. Thanks!!

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
There are many signs that an angelfish has paired up with another. They do often stay in close proximity of one another, sometimes even pecking gently at each other's dorsal and cadual fins. Hard for me to describe all the details involved as it's become one of those things that "I just know when I see it.".

Now, as far as breeding/spawning behaviours, dependant on if you're keeping other angels in the tank along with the pair, often the pair will begin chasing other angels away from "their territory". Also, when around a week or so from spawning time, sometimes much less and sometimes more, they will begin to clean a surface in preperation for depositing the eggs. They love large plant leaves for that such as sword plants and anubias, ect... also using items such as PVC pipe and slate when rested at an angle in the aquarium propped up against something. Pretty much anything in the tank is fair game for spawning, in time you'll be suprised where you can find their eggs.

There are many more habits that angelfish do when paired up and nearing breeding time, but that should cover the basics. Also, don't forget that live/frozen foods are a great trigger to induce a pair to spawn, but certainly not necessary.

When you get your eggs, depending on your angelfish's personality and instincts they may or may not eat the eggs. I have pairs that consistantly eat every batch, thus I have to tend to the eggs in a hatching tank myself. Sometime I can remove one of the parents and the male, or even sometimes the female are capable and excellent at parenting and tending to the eggs, wrigglers, and even freeswimmers. Some pairs have raised one batch after another without removing the first batch of fry, others have fed the subsequent spawns to the previous and larger fry.

Oh, and don't be concerned about odd spawning behaviours such as a pair that darts through the water on their side at other fish/angels, that's not incredibly common for me to see, but I do have a few pairs of veils that do that when very close to spawning time. I don't know if it's easier to turn away from the target in an up/down fashion to prevent from hitting objects in the tank, if it takes less energy (doubt it), or whatever. Just one of those neat charastics to watch.

Regards,
Raithan O. Ellis

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
Many cichlids do dig, however I have yet to see any angelfish do so over the years I've kept and bred them. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but either it's something other than the angelfish digging or perhaps they don't have enough cover/hiding areas?

Cheers,
Raithan O. Ellis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store