Finally started my cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
FINALLY!! after 3 months of thinking, planning and reading I got my tank filled and started. Just to recap, 75g FO (with LR eventually), approx 60 to 70 lbs of base rock. 3 to 4" dsb and 3 powerheads running at nearly 900gph total. One of the powerheads will run my skimmer, but im using it as a water mover until my cycle reaches the nitrates spike. I added 3 coctail shrimp friday night and tested my water sunday morning...

Ammonia - < .50ppm
Nitrites - nearly 0
Nitrates - nearly 0
pH - 8.3 to 8.4
temp - 80F
salinity - 1.023

Any thoughts?? My tank seems to be running warm, and I only have a 40w bulb running very sparingly, maybe 30 minutes at night while I inspect everything. I have a 300W heater ( prob should have gotten 2 200W heaters). The heater is set at 78F so I turned it to 75F. My house is kept at around 70F? Another question, I'm planning on adding some cured LR after I cycle, will my tank be able to sustain any life without it. I have nothing but the powerheads and skimmer running. I'd like to start my tank off with some crabs and snails for a week after cycle then get 2 clowns. Will I be successfull withot LR right away?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That may be a bit warm, but that's easy to correct. If the tank is covered, open the lid up enough to allow some air circulation. A small fan blowing over the water will help as well. 80 isn't too bad, but you'll want to keep it there or a bit below for most fish.

You can add fish without any live rock, but they will be stressed if there is nothing for them to hide in. So, add some tufa rock, or some fake plants, just until you get the live rock added. The plastic plants work very well as temporary cover, are easily stored and cleaned, and, my fave, are pretty cheap.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I do have that 60 or so lbs of base rock in there now, so there are alot of caves and hiding spots. If that's all I need to worry about, then I guess i'll be ok!! I gotta get some pics taken!

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I don't want to seem a bit stupid, but wouldn't it help to have at least some live rock in at this point to provide a source of bacteria, rather than just waiting around for it to blow in by accident? Isn't all this cycling thing just a bit passe?

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
You are right wayne, LR would introduce bacteria much faster, it would also put a $100 hole in my wallet. I'm going to do this slow and cheap and add some cured LR after the tank cycles. Uncured rock would cost me over $100 and I can get some cured rock for $35

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Is it passe to avoid killing off critters if we can?

There are several methods of cycling, and many of them involve adding cured live rock, or uncured live rock. The point is to make the tank habitable for fish and inverts--and is not passe. New and improved methods are constantly being developed, and since all of these work to prevent our carefully selected stock from dying, it is well worth the effort.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Well said Oriongirl. Also, it's the simple fact that my situation dictates the use of cured rock. I can get it cheap from local reef keepers, and I can get it in small amounts, that's something I can't do with uncured LR. If you check out my tank pics post, you'll see all my cool base rock that I will be seeding!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store