i think i have parasites

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
I qt my big oranda the other day for possibly dropsy. Looking at the bottom of the tank I see tiny round bungs and small worm like creatures in the poo and also on the bottom. What to buy? And the other tank I took her out of is the 180gallon so I am gonna try and treat that to. Gonna cost a boat load of money I guess?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Little white worms from your main tank are a sign that you need to clean it more often. They usually appear out of nowhere when too much food, poop, or decayed plants stay in there too long. You might need added filtration or more frequent (or larger) water changes. The worms are harmless and will go away gradually as you step up your tank maintenance.

Don't know what to tell you about little round bugs. That could be anything. So we'll need more info.

Good luck with your fish, too.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Parasites cannot live in a salty mix. You may want to consider adding some salt along with Kashta's recommendation of improved maintenance. Waste food is a real problem and cutting back on it will help greatly.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
I didnt know it was possible to clean my tank more. Once a week 70% water changes. Clean the mechanical filter twice a week, and the mech/bio once a month. Nitrates never go above 30, and after a water change they are 7-10. I have sand so nothing settles on the bottom with that 1500gph pump blowing. Hmmm

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Well, that's hard to say then. Even in a whirlpool of filtration though, dirt will still settle under the sand. Do you have any trumpet snails under there, or just the pleco for getting at waste material?

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
No snails. I used to have 2 snails, but the pleco ate them, flip em over and num num. And I am not to sure about snails unless they are big. I have a over 12" comet in that tank and she has a pretty big mouth. Hate to have something like that stuck in her throat.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
i think i have parasites
Am I the only one that finds this title amusing. Tapeworm? Roundworm? Trichogama? pinworms? flukes? ticks?

You have a very heavy bioload in that tank but you seem to be keeping up with it. Keeping your nitrates that low is a very good sign. You could possibly have parasites. It wouldn't hurt to give your fish a treatment if you keep seeing these.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
late update the fish took the bite to the tank in the sky few days ago. bleeding from one gill when I found her. She weighed in at 1lb. 11" long. As u can see, one gill did NOT look right, was kinda blackish.

shes in the freezer now, gf wont let me throw her out and wants me to bury her.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
:tombstone: That poor little thing. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Sorry I don't have the knowledge to help with the answer to this.

Flaringshutter is a goldie/oranda expert. You might try messaging her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store