oh boy paludarium experiment #2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I got a 5 gallon tank today, to test corkbark out with a nano-paludarium setup. I've just plumbed a pump to a T with 2 small spraybars, that sit at frame level. glass can cover the entire top, with the exception of the pump cord. a large piece of corkbark tube acts as the filter chamber, to be partially filled with foam or some media. another couple of cork bark chunks form 2 stepped shelves for planting at the waterline and just above it. the tank will have around 2 gallons of water.

I've just glued it up.

I'm shocked actually, I had no plan to do this. Just decided spur of the moment to give into my MTS... and left the LFS with the 5 gallon tank and glass top, knowing I had everything else at home. I did all the planning, plumbing, cutting, and glueing in the last 4 hours.

I'm going to try and grow just 2 or 3 species of plant. any suggestions? Mini pellia and moss in the running. dwarf sag available, but not a necessity.

pics in a bit.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
sounds like this will be a cool thread!!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
next up: plastic screen to close off the bark bottoms, then about 2" of substrate, and some hydrocote. after 24 hours of drying....

taking votes on the tank floor substrate:

black eco complete
mixed reddish flourite
brown flora base
mixed natural medium (1/4"ish) smooth gravel

I've got all 3 in small quantities.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Eco-complete sounds like an interesting substrate for this.

As for your filter, just be sure that the tubing is easy to get out in case your media gets clogged. It's amazing to me how fast my filter gets clogged in my paludarium(if I use really, really fine media) due to all the eco-earth/wood/moss/etc.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Looks like a promising start! I'd go with the eco too. What kinda lighting are you planning on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store