Can it be saved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
What's wrong with my plant?

It was all bushy and green when I put it in the tank. Over time it has started to turn brown from the bottom up and the "leaves" are falling off. The top is still bright green and growing slowly but I think the rest is in distress.

Any ideas?

tjg2007

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
How long has it been in the tank? I put an Amazon Sword in my tank when I first set it up and over the first few weeks I thought it was a goner but then it resprouted and grew fine after that, until the tank blew a seal that is.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
It's been in the tank for a month and has gradually deteriorated during that time. My java moss looks great although it's not growing much.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
what are the specs of the tank (lighting, dosing and such)?
The lighting is a 15 watt flourescent in a 20 gallon tank. As far as dosing, I don't. I got the plant with a batch of red cherry shrimp. I just anchored it in the gravel and hoped for the best. Guess that's not happening.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
That looks like Cabomba, which is a relatively high-light requirement plant. Seems like you simply don't have enough light for it to thrive.

At less than 1wpg, you'll need to stick to Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anubias to see plant success.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
For future plant purchase: With low lighting, avoid plants with thin or light green leaves, or red leaves. As a rule, they are high light pants. Stich to broad leaved dark green plants.

Last edited:

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i would upgrade the lighting, if possible to a min of 30 watts

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
Thanks for all the replies.

I was told that the plant was ambulia if that makes a difference in your advice.

Also, I'm not sure how I'm going to add more light. The hood has only one receptacle for a fluorescent bulb. Maybe I can find a higher wattage bulb the same length as the one that's in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store