Product Review: Coralife Aqualight Single Compact Fluorescent Lighting Fixture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Company
Coralife

Model
Aqualight Single Compact Fluorescent Lighting Fixture, 65W, 6700 Kº

Link to product description
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9871&pcatid=9871

Price range
$67-$135 for 65-130W

Pros
The compact dimensions and lightweight structure for the output are great. Even on taller tanks, the lighting is even and looks great. This light is perfect for planted tanks and does a great job promoting healthy, even growth. The second protective shield that is build into the light is great as well in case some water gets on the hood/top of the tank during a water changes.

Cons
The light bulbs are very fragile; even the slightest drop can short them and render the fixture useless. The light bulbs are a bit on the expensive side also.

Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)
****½

How long have you used the product?
7 months

Build quality and value for your money.
The build quality is very good. The top is actually made from metal, not plastic like other lights. The fits are very solid, and overall it is a very sturdy light.

In terms of value, it is a decent value. Sure, there are less expensive lights and those that come with bulbs that are also less expensive. The quality is much better than the cheaper lights though, so this is a light you would put on your display tank.

Other comments
I purchased this light for my planted tank after my 17W light just wasnt putting out enough light for my plants. Keep in mind this was a 37G tank, which is very tall. Soon after I added the light to the tank, plant growth increased exponentially and now I am trimming my ludwigia and amazon sword every week or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store