DIY styrofoam aquarium background....this should end up bein pretty fly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
Aight sooo i just got into aquariums and ive only had one little ten gallon running but both my goldfish in it died cus i didnt have any water tests or any of that jaz so now im settin up a 40 gallon tank and ive done HELLA research on everything ill need for it, water tests, ph nitrite nitrate ammonia, all that crap. And im building my own background for it out of styrofoam.......ive already carved some of it and kinda got an idea what i wanna do but i figured id post it up cus everyone loves lookin at these (including me) and the process to the end, i also need some tips and stuff on aquarium care and some tips on what to do with my tank, so heres some pics

ooook well this first pic i posted showed up as a lil red x so im not sure if it will show up or not when i post it ???? so ima post it then if it works ill continue with my other pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pic didn't work :)

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
AIGHT I GOT IT :thm:

Ok so this is the beginning of my background.....its goin aight....the back part i just carved out the rocks and then stuck them on a flat piece that i fit in the tank.....and the corner piece i made use a few peices flat pieces together, you'll see in my other pic

These are the only tools ive used so far......ive got a big tube of silicone coming in the mail sooon......the xacto knife is the bomb for this stuff cus its sooooo sharp it slices through the styrofoam live butta....and ive been using the ductape to temporarily stick pieces together so i got an idea what it will look like....i suggest using it

sorta close up on corner piece....my filter slides in ther nicely and i'll probably end up putting some screen in there so no fish get pulled through the gaps of the fake rocks.....you feelin me?

Alright this is the other side of the tank and ive delayed my building of this part because im waiting on my submersible pump and silicone and stuff that i ordered online from big als.......i wanna put in undergravel jets and stuff......but i plan on building a cave here to.....and in the back ill also put my heater so its hidden probably right next to the pump...

But my biggest problem right now is the decision on what type of concrete to use to cover this thing with, or maybe not even using concrete and just covering it with epoxy resin and some sand??? i cant decide!!! i know i wanna epoxy resin it tho because that will help with the raise in ph levels in the water and mean lesss water changes until my ph is stable.....im just very confused on what to do and im always lookin for the cheapest ways to do it.

The fish ive decided i want to put in it is a few convict cichlids because from the research ive done they are one of the easier cichlids to keep, right?? and im an extreme newbie to all this and i want my first time to be kinda easy.....any tips??

THANKS FOR READING MY POST!!

REPLY!!

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas

this is my current tank that ive got running.....its super lame and ive had two goldfish die in it haha not good, its just a ten gallon witha snail and some live plants......which ive decided in my new tank im puttin all fake ones....maybe like one real one.....but thats it cus thats just one other thing ill have to spend money on to keep the plants alive. ive got some grow lights on it too as you can see

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
It looks like your rock wall is going to be really cool looking! I like the sand idea--it will give your rocks a more natural look and feel to them. Your ledge is also way cool--I can't wait to see this as it progresses!

I noticed that you have 2 heaters in your 10g tank. Just an afterthought--goldfish don't need heaters as they are coldwater fish.

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
thanks i hope it turns out as i awesome as i picture it haha

but oh yea i was just testin out the bigger heater to make sure it still worked (its HELLA old) but ha yea i just bought the goldfish out of no where with no research or anything so thats prolly why they died. OH WELL ive learned

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
looks like a perfect cichlid tank . since you dont want to upgrade lighting , then yes they are the fish to go with !! they eat plants anyway ... Your background is looking very nice, would also make a great pal. or viv ... ~~~~ I like the sand idea as well, but you can get alot of color with the cement . i'll be watching to see what you end up with . this has potential !! ~~~~

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
looks like a perfect cichlid tank . since you dont want to upgrade lighting , then yes they are the fish to go with !! they eat plants anyway ... Your background is looking very nice, would also make a great pal. or viv ... ~~~~ I like the sand idea as well, but you can get alot of color with the cement . i'll be watching to see what you end up with . this has potential !! ~~~~
he stated that he was making a 40gallon tank.... cichlids need a 55g... so they are NOT the fish to go with

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not all cichlids reuire a 55 gal tank. He mentioned convicts so I think the 40 will be fine.

Nice work on the background.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I like the originality of your work. Looking forward to the completed piece.

I agree with RB there are many cichlids that can go in a 40, 20, or 10. You just need to select the correct ones. Angelfish (are cichlids) will also work well. Also make sure the 40 is setting more level than that 10 is. That's a lot of water to lose!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store