Garlic in Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
All,

I have read some threads and came across the suggestion about including garlic in the fish food. I read that Garlic helps fish's immunity toward ich. Should i just put a piece of garlic in tank? or should i make a paste of it. Pls advice.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
All,

I have read some threads and came across the suggestion about including garlic in the fish food. I read that Garlic helps fish's immunity toward ich. Should i just put a piece of garlic in tank? or should i make a paste of it. Pls advice.
I went to the grocery store and bought a small jar of McCormich's (sp) crushed garlic. I just added about 1/8 teaspoon to the food I was thawing in some tank water. I don't know if that was enough or too much. I don't think the garlic just placed in the tank will do any good. The fish need to eat it, I guess.

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Garlic needs to be very fresh or it looses it's claimed ablilty to help the fish immune system. That's why off the shelf is no good. IMO!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Then the stuff you buy in the LFS at a high price isn't any good either.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Unfortunately, there really isn't any research that supports the use of garlic in fish diets. The only thing I have observed is a slight appetite stimulant, but that is anecdotal at best. There is plenty of evidence, however, that the oils found in garlic (and other terrestrial plants) lead to steatosis (fatty degeneration) of the liver in fish.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
i always use garlic on DIY food for my fw fishes , i just crush some fresh garlic and then dry it with a heater or something , and make powder outa it and add the garlic powder to the rest of the recipe , and the fishes love it :)
u can use it like that or add the powder to the food u give the fishes ,just don add much just a bit , i still didnt use it on SW fishes, it s on ur own risk ,

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I was reading on the labels of Rod's Food, and several of his products has garlic added.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Long term use of garlic when used in a marine fishes diet causes heart and liver lesions. They are unable to process the terestrial plant lipids as Amphiprion has stated above.
There is no scientific evidence of it being an immune stimulant in marine fish. How many garlic plants have you seen on a reef?

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
How many garlic plants have you seen on a reef?
About the same number of spinach plants. Spinach has been a substitute for sea greens for tangs for as long as I can remember. ;)

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
I think I saw a "Garlicchateo" plant the last time I went diving....It could have dropped off one of those "Cruise Ships"...this was in Kona...;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store