will festivums eat neons and gold tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
title says all. i am planning an amazon baisin tank and a festivum seemed like an excellent centre peice. its a 35 gallon tank. any help appreciated

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Full grown Festivum, juvenile tetras... yes.

Juvenile festi and fully grown tetras... probably not.

You may want to look into a fuller bodied tetra (Lemon, Congo, Diamond, etc.) to avoid the worry. :)

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Full grown Festivum, juvenile tetras... yes.

Juvenile festi and fully grown tetras... probably not.

You may want to look into a fuller bodied tetra (Lemon, Congo, Diamond, etc.) to avoid the worry. :)
I totally agree, and while I don't have any direct experience with festivums , I have personally seen HN's festivum behave aggressively toward smaller-bodied tetras. I think the count ATM is 10 rummynose down!!!!

I will have to respectfully disagree with HN on the Congo suggestion though... I have seen full-grown, active Congos utilize every inch of a 55 gallon tank. They were over 3 inches long! Stick with Lemons, Diamonds, black skirts, etc.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
lemons!! there a good idea ill get some of them instead for my tank! will festies bug cories?

They should be fine with any cories. They are actually a very peaceful fish for a SA Cichlid.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I actually like that stocking ALOT. :)

Just add slow and filter well and it should be a very impressive tank!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
im getting some more jungle vals and hopefully(if i can find any) some brazillean pennywort! this amazon baisin biotope is coming along excellently!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I'm rather into Columbian tetras myself. Rather attractive (like neons and cardies the blue is much brighter viewed from slightly above) and easy to spawn; I've got two 1" juveniles and I saw a much smaller one the other day in a tank also inhabited by a Sev and an angelfish, so they must actually be laying a lot of eggs...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store