Ghost shrimp egg incubation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
New (but I suppose not unexpected) development. I noticed this p.m. that several of the ghost shrimp seem to be incubating clutches of bright green eggs (leg-bound). I am not interested in a breeding project/isolation tank and upon hatching these little guys will most certainly not escape the gouramis, danios, loaches, etc., let alone the intake of the FX5.

Time to hatching... ~30 days?

Edit: sp. is Caridina japonica

Last edited:

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
ghost shrimp are not Caridina japonica. C. japonica are commonly known as amano shrimp.

Depending on what species of ghost shrimp you have (there are several grouped into that common name) the larvae might not even be able to survive in a fresh water setup.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
ghost shrimp are not Caridina japonica. C. japonica are commonly known as amano shrimp.

Depending on what species of ghost shrimp you have (there are several grouped into that common name) the larvae might not even be able to survive in a fresh water setup.
:iagree:both species you have listed ghost and amano's (to my understanding) require brackish water for their larva to survive. I have read some cases of ghost shrimp breeding in freshwater tanks but usually heavily planted tanks. I am almost 100% sure amanos need brackish water for the larva. Time to hatch is probably around 30 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store