please help me, BIG bugs attatched to my goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:eek: looked in my tank when i got up to see something stuck on my blue orandas tail, on closer inspection im convinced i see legs waving in the water, so i pulled her out and knocked her out with clove oil, and it was what looked like an almost transparent mite of some sorts, a round body, 6-8 little legs waving frantically, and what looked like a head, i pulled it off with tweezers, it came away in one piece and the tweezers killed it, im so freaked out by it, but dont know what to do. ive just seen another one on my big calico fantails tail aswell. il knock her out once ive dropped the kids at school and remove that one aswell. please please tell me what i can do for my babies, could this be why they are still flicking even though ive treated for skin and gill flukes? they are in treatment for them now, it went in on saturday, its interpet anti slime and velvet treatment, it said it was for use on flukes aswell. what should i do to kill off these big bugs, whatever they are, im so worried.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
oh my god, ive just found what they are, its fish lice, how on earth do i treat for that, what can i do, ive only seen 2 big ones so far but im guessing the tank will be covered, please help, im in the uk and have no idea what to buy.

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Off the top of my head, I know that jungle parasite clear will treat lice. There might be something better available though. Hopefully an expert will come along soon :)

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i dont think i can get hold of jungle meds in the uk but will take a look, thanks.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I don't know either, Kelly. I'm sorry. But I did a seach for "fish lice" here and found a stickied thread Lupin posted on medications. That gives us several suggestions. I don't know which is best.
Dimilin
Ingredients: purely dimilin available in liquid or powder form
Diseases: anchorworms (Lernaea elegans), fish lice, ergasilus
Comments: See thread for more details.

Life Bearer
Ingredients: 0.0-dimehyl, 1-hydroxybenzol, 2-trichloromethyl phosphate
Diseases: flukes and fish lice

Lufenuron
Diseases: fish lice, anchorworm, ergasilus
Claims: Proven to be quite effective against parasites and is an active ingredients in flea dog sprays.

Parazin
Diseases: fish lice (Argulus), anchor worm (Lernea), gill maggots (Ergasilus)
Comments: Parazin is safe with fish, plants and filtration. Before use: Read instructions carefully. Switch off u.v. sterilisers and remove carbon and/or ammonia removers. Replace after 10 days.

Sera Cyprinopur
Ingredients: dihydroxybenzol, ethanol
Diseases: external parasites, spring virosis
Comments: This medicine is sold in bulk as it is designed for ponds, however it can be used in the aquarium to treat diseases and external parasites like camallanus, anchorworms, fish leech and fish lice.

Trichlorfon (Masoten)
Diseases: monogenean flukes, Gyrodactylus (skin fluke) and Dactylogyrus (gill fluke), as well as leeches and crustacean ectoparasites. Argulus (fish lice) and Lernaea (anchor worm), Trichodina spp. Ergasilus spp
Claims: It is not a recommended drug as it has proven itself harmful for human and animal use. It is available under its trade name Bayer Masoten, Metriphonate or Dylox and pet store medicines such as Dylox and Life-bearer (all information mentioned above) and has been banned in many countries.
That's in this thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135493&highlight=fish+lice

And the first medication references this thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133673

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/treatargulus.php

This is a link that deals with fish lice. I was hoping to find that salt dips cure fish lice, since they do cure many external parasites.

I'm still searching for that, but, in the meantime, this article does give a name of a treatment that is available in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store