Possible problem with filter/water! (Pond + two Koi + Goldfish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Should I replace my pump/filter?

• No, I will supply more info in a response.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBeat2k9

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2009
Hey guys'n'girls of the AC world! ^.^

:help:

Right, basically, I finally got round to sorting out my pond, meaning, I once had a hole in my garden 8ft by 6 ft, 4 ft deep, I lined it, filled it, and slowly introduced my goldfish, and bought 2 new Ghost Koi, one of which 7 inches long, the other being just over a 9 inches long.

It's been running really well for about 3 days, and My spray fountain just suddenly stopped working. I pulled up the whole rig, checked the filter, and it's full of white/green gunk. The water is now a slightly green colour, and my fish seem to be swimming a LOT less than they normally do.

My koi have just stopped dead, just sorta swimming still in one spot, and my goldfish is staying at the top, constantly gulping from the top of the pond. I'm worried.

I did introduce some plants, recommended by the guy at the shop, not too many, 4 to be precise.

I've since cleaned the filter, and put it back, but it's still stopping every few hours, ready for me to clean it again..

Is there something I can buy to prevent/slow down the gunky buildup in the filter that I can introduce to the filter itself or the water?

I'm really worried about my fish, and I have since moved my beloved goldfish in to a tank, with plenty to do/play around with/hide in.

Please help me guys/girls, I'm desperate, and really worried for my koi! >.<

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this through, if you carried on reading after the ":help:" thingy, you're a saint. xD I am prone to blabber on a bit.

waiting patiently, chewing on fingernails... wait.. knuckle bones,

Jay

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
My guess is it sounds like a thick algae bloom. I don't do ponds yet (apartment dweller), so I can't help with any practical advice. But you'll get more pond-type goldfish people reading the thread who could advise you if you post the question in the cold water forum. In an aquarium, we'd recommend shutting off the lights, cutting back on feeding, and adding a bubble wand - maybe adding some fast-growing nitrogen-eating plants to lower the nutrient levels and out-compete the algae. Wish I could help more with the pond setting.

Edit: I voted no/other on the filter question. I suspect if you upgraded or added another one, it would just get clogged too.

Edit (again): Welcome to the site!!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store