problem need answer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fysh3r

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
thank for helping me up

the last time i change my tank water i used tap water which i left overnight and some of my fish die:confused: sad

i was wondering is it a good idea if i change my tank water using rain water which i collected so there will be no chlorine

anyway my fish are comet fish 12 of them n a plec as cleaner is it a good idea to add in a few cory cat into the comunity (the comet are 2 inch long n my tank is 90 gallon)

need advice desperately:help: thank you

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Water conditioner, or water 'ager' will remove chlorine and chloramine from your tap water.

It is not a good idea to add cory cats because they are tropical fish (as are plecos), while comets (I assume you mean goldfish) are coldwater.

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
I second bitbot's opinion. Not only because of the tropical bit, but because those comets will outgrow that tank, so I really hope you got a plan for when that happens. Really though, water conditioner is easy dirt cheap, and will totally fix this problem. Hope the rest of your guys are okay!

fysh3r

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
ok but with water conditioner i should change only 20% of the current water n replace it with those or should i change more than 20%?

anyway beside plec and cory is there any other cleaner which is cold water

I was thinking of upgrading my tank to 120 gallon wonder if that is enough or i still need a bigger tank?

thank for your advice helps a lot

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If you are not using a good water conditioner, such as Prime, I recommend you get one. While aging the water with aeration overnight can remove chlorine, there is a good possibility that your water has chloramine as an additive and it will not gas off.

Last edited:

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
ok but with water conditioner i should change only 20% of the current water n replace it with those or should i change more than 20%?

I was thinking of upgrading my tank to 120 gallon wonder if that is enough or i still need a bigger tank?

Percentage of how much you change isn't relevant to to your water source and conditioner, it's your bioload and how often you're doing it that's your predictor. In regards to how much room for those comets, think of it this way: they usually grow to a foot, sometimes more. I know, I know, I'm the bearer of scary news. Sorry! :(

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Not sure if it was clear, but water conditioner is a liquid that you add to (tap) water that removes chlorine and chloramine (which is added by the water company to inhibit growth of bacteria and other microbes).

Goldfish do grow very large, but to put things in perspective a little, I believe they take some years to reach full size.

I'm not sure about coldwater 'cleaner' fish, but you could consider coldwater snails - even just pond snails.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
thank for helping me up

the last time i change my tank water i used tap water which i left overnight and some of my fish die:confused: sad

i was wondering is it a good idea if i change my tank water using rain water which i collected so there will be no chlorine

anyway my fish are comet fish 12 of them n a plec as cleaner is it a good idea to add in a few cory cat into the comunity (the comet are 2 inch long n my tank is 90 gallon)

need advice desperately:help: thank you
Welcome fysh3r. I'm sorry to hear you lost some of your fish already. That's why it's so important to treat your tap water with Prime every time you add some to your tank. (Collecting rain water is not a good choice, either.)

The other fish you've listed (pleco and corys) are not compatible at all with any goldfish types and should never be kept in the same tank. It's a matter of space requirements and temperament plus several different water related issues, including the temperature.

I'm afraid you're going to run into a lot of problems trying to keep 12 comet goldfish in a 90 gallon tank. You need to learn a lot about them to understand what their care requirements really are.

Comet goldfish look very small when you first buy them at only an inch or two long. But they grow very fast and will reach 12, 14.. even 18 inches long in a very short time. To estimate the minimum tank size you need, plan on having only 1 comet fish for every 20 gallons of water in your tank. That means a 90-gallon tank should have no more than 4 or 5 comets... total, with no other fish at all.

This may seem hard to imagine, but they really grow that fast. Your two-inch fish will double in size within just about 2 more months. Within the first year, each of them can grow to 8 or 10 inches long.

If properly cared for, your comets will live a very long time.. up to 10-20 years. So please plan the tank and the fish you stock it with very carefully with this in mind.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I agree... many people think goldfish are easy to care for, and have minimal requirements due to the fact that they get exploited to tiny unsuitable fishbowls all the time. This is a cruel practice and goldies are acctually a really cool fish that need a lot of space, and specific water requirments/filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store