Another tank restoration thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
So I found a guy who wanted to swap his acrylic 125 for something with a smaller foot print. I have always wanted something with a bigger footprint than my 110 (48x18) so I decided it might be a good idea. I have no knowledge of how to plumb a sump and have never owned an acrylic tank so this will definitely be a learning experience. Some shots from when I first got it to my place and one or two from the first round of cleaning.

100_1739.JPG 100_1741.JPG 100_1742.JPG 100_1743.JPG 100_1744.JPG 100_1745.JPG 100_1746.JPG 100_1747.JPG 100_1748.JPG 100_1749.JPG

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Looks good...but I personally wouldn't stand the aquarium up on its side like you did in the 8th picture...good luck with it!

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
thats how I clean mine with the water hose too, but with it not being glass it is prone to scratch really easily ' just be really careful what you clean & wipe it down with , you will be in awe how easily this scuff's & scratches with any kind of fabrics. but still Huge tank , I so wish I had ethier, 110,. or 125. I really want a 240 thow :)

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
thats how I clean mine with the water hose too, but with it not being glass it is prone to scratch really easily ' just be really careful what you clean & wipe it down with , you will be in awe how easily this scuff's & scratches with any kind of fabrics. :)
I just used a deck brush and loads of water to get the algae off the surface. I figure since I will soon be sanding and buffing the acrylic there is no real need in completely scouring the tank. The scratches are kinda deep in a few area's so I purchased some 600 and 2000 grit sand paper, and some novus plastic polish to buff out the final result. Then it will be on to the plumbing. I also bought two pieces of 1/4 inch lexan and some loctite marine epoxy. I am hoping that by sandwiching the crack with these two pieces of lexan and epoxying them together that the top brace will be sufficient.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Congrats! Should be an interesting thread.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
aaaaaaawwww...i was looking at this thread in mfks (i think). i used to live in va (norfolk and va beach thanks to the navy). we could have hung out and had a polishing party!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
aaaaaaawwww...i was looking at this thread in mfks (i think). i used to live in va (norfolk and va beach thanks to the navy). we could have hung out and had a polishing party!
I wish I could relocate to so. cal... I posted this thread on both forums because I know some folks dont stray to far from ac and I'd like all my fishy friends to be able to follow along and maybe pick up a little knowledge along the way.

I was just looking out on the deck at this lurking monster tank while sipping my morning coffee wishing I could throw a polishing party. This thing is gonna kick my butt!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Well I'm stalled until the novus arrives hopefully on monday. Gives me some time to get the pump and other materials for the sump together my to do list is as follows.

Re trim stand/canopy. (I may just build another canopy)
Paint stand and canopy
Order pump (havent decided between a quiet 1 and a rio 3000)
Reseal an old 55 and silicone in glass baffles
Sand/buff tank
Final cleaning of tank to remove any residue left behind from the novus
Plumb the overflows and the return
Make spraybars and determine how to secure them to the tank
assemble tank outside and run the sump system and inspect for leaks
break down and reassemble tank in the house:thm:
Move heater and media from my 110 to the 125:dance:
Transfer the inhabitants into 125:headbang2:
Sit back and enjoy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com