1,000 pin head crickets! HELP HELP HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
Ok lets hold the laughter until the end! Ok Genus husband decided it would be cheaper to buy live crickets and keep them in a tank for the geckos! SO he purchased 1,000 from a cricket farm and got the smallest kind(pinheads)good for my baby panther geckos but bad for us!
ok he has them in a 20L tank with oatmeal (uncooked) on the bottom a sponge for water, a calcium supplement food sprinkled inside and carrots. he taped the tank all the way around so they can't climb out and covered the plastic netted top with glass canopies. NOW what did we do wrong and what can we do right. I have never done this and despritly hate the mere site of bugs! so I will die (or move) if they get out!
HELP HELP HELP!
I PROMISE TO TAKE ALL SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE!!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
when i worked at the pet store we put half an orange in the cricket bin either once or twice a week, and used some kind of cracked corn for a substrate...idk why. Also, one time i sat a book on top of the little air holes and they were all dead before my shift was over. apparently if they don't have good airflow then it gets too humid and they die. whooda known?

MadHatter

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
at that age they cant jump very high we keep them in an open 10g glass tank w/ polymer crystals soaked for water & flukers cricket feed ...most survive none escape ...unless they jump off the eggcrate when we are grabing them

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
We feed pinheads to our venus flytraps. Pretty weird.

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
they make a horrible stench too. at least at the pet shop they did. the kind that doesn't come out of your nostrils for days. *shudder*

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
at that age they cant jump very high we keep them in an open 10g glass tank w/ polymer crystals soaked for water & flukers cricket feed ...most survive none escape ...unless they jump off the eggcrate when we are grabing them
ok so the 20L should be ok?

We feed pinheads to our venus flytraps. Pretty weird.
we had them once but they were left over from the summer at home depot and didn't last very long! (I love little shop of horrors!!)

they make a horrible stench too. at least at the pet shop they did. the kind that doesn't come out of your nostrils for days. *shudder*

oh god thanks hubbie has them in the kitchen! :mad2::eek:

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
LOL um...just kidding? lol sorry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store