Cichlid with bulging eye :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
My oldest cichlid is in very poor shape. There are some aggression issues in my tank because 1 they are cichlids and 2 a couple have started breeding. Usually my yellow guy stays out of it and rarely even gets his fins nipped... by my poor lemon cichlid's eye is blugding out from the front at a slant. Just his left eye. It looks terrible. II was admiring his color last night and saw nothing wrong, so I know it happened within the last 24 hours. The whole eye is in tact, and there is no redness- mostly white, so I thought perhaps he'd heal up. I've never seen this in a fish before and now he's losing his appetite. He's still eating just not as much as he usually does. He has also moved himself from his regluar spot next to the rocks to the top of the tank above their heater.

I don't know what I am looking for by posting here- maybe someone who has dealt with this before? Suggestions on treatment? Should I isolate him? I dont want to take him to another tank and stress him out...

Funny thing is that he has had some GREAT color... I started seeing the darker yellow stripes more often, and more clearly than ever before for in the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Not sure what I'll do- but my heart strings are pulling for him. I want him to make it out of this.

:help:

EDIT: Everyone else looks very healthy- no issues. Water was changed 2 days ago and has been regularly, without skipping a beat, once a week 25%. I use salt so I am hoping that will help heal him?????

Last edited:

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I think it may be pop-eye.
Thanks for the luck wishes!

At least that gives me a place to start researching. I don't know if I can do anything but wait it out... :hang:but if there is a method that has worked for someone out there I'll give it my all. Time, cash, lovin's... whatever it takes!

I appreciate the support!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com

here is a pic of what is going on with "Big Yellow" as I call him... They are a from a blackberry so not great quality... You can clearly see the iris of his eye... kind of looks like there is a bubble on the front lid... it's popping up from the front... :( I'm so worried about him! I have another pic I'll post in a second with a clearer shot... :(

Last edited:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi!
I would like to know who are his tankmates and for how long they have been together. If there is no evidence of aggression, pop eye is a possibility. In that case, I would use an antibiotic for pop eye or eye cloud; following it's instructions carefully.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Remove him to another tank smaller tank would be better daily water changes and you can use aquarium or table non iodized salt at 1TBL spoon per 5gals of water also Melafix made by API swears that it is an all natural product so should be safe as long as you follow directions but use the Melafix as a last resort..

Pumping a tank full of Meds is never a good situation for a fish.. daily water changes is the best medicine when a fish is feeling blue aye..

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Hi!
I would like to know who are his tankmates and for how long they have been together.
His tank mates are assorted malawi cichlids. Everyone has been together for at least a year. If you look at my albulm, those are his buddies. I adopted the tank from someone who had NO CLUE what they were doing, so there are some mismatches. (like a Red Jewel with a tank of Malawis.)

The tank has been stabilized with consistent 25% waterchanges once a week. Salt added. Filter cleanings/rinsing once a month. (canister- fluval). No one has shown any signs of illness in the past 6 months. I had an issue with floating alge 3 months ago that i corrected by turning the lights off and perfroming waterchanges 2-3 times weekly. We've been clear for 2 1/2 months now.

"Big Yellow" doesnt usually get messed with, so I dont think it's an attack. And I have not seen anyone picking on him specifically. I am paricularly worried due to his lack of appetite.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Remove him to another tank smaller tank would be better ... ... ... ...daily water changes is the best medicine when a fish is feeling blue aye..

You're advice confuses me... :( Do I remove him to a tank w/ antibiotics to prevent infection or do I leave him in the tank with frequent water changes? Do I let all the fish go through the frequent water changes????

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yellow labs no matter what size are a less dominant species with the Mbuna so a boisterous tank mate could wreak havoc on him and it maybe that your not seeing the aggression..

Either you have a cloud eye issue or an injury and the lack of appetite could be stress from aggression or the injury, at any rate i would remove him to see if he starts acting normally and to heal..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store