Crayfish Journal (Cambarellus Patzcuarensis sp. Orange)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
This was a journal I made on SFBAAPS. I'm just posting it over here too, for those who are curious about Dwarf Crayfish or in CPOs in general. Since I did a search about these guys on multiple forums and found very little info on them. I figured I could lend a hand to other hobbyists who are/will be in the same position that I was.

I hope this "journal" helps! I will update as time goes on and if I'm not lazy.

Jan. 23, 2009
First arrival.
Trio - 1M 2FM
Cambarellus Patzcuarensis sp. Orange

Kept in aquasoil amazonia 1.
I never do watch changes, only top-offs. I use pure tap water (7.6) when topping off. Aquasoil lowers the water parameters to lower ph and softer water though. I estimate around 6.8 ph.

These are Cambarellus Patzcuarensis sp. orange. They're approx. 1-1.25 inches. I have amano shrimp that are slightly larger, if not the same size, as these guys. They're very cute.

Full of personality. The male likes to charge up at me when I look into the tank. As if defending his territory.

They are kept with tiger shrimp and Boraras Urophthalmoides. These dwarf crays are shrimp, fish and plant friendly. They're compatible with anything and everything. They're suppose to be able to eat snails, which is what I was hoping they'd do. But I haven't seen them kill and eat any MTS yet. They wave them around in their claws sometimes but I haven't seen that behavior lately. Perhaps they gave up trying.

I feed them frozen bloodworms once a day and occasionally crush snails for them to eat.

img_1366_145.jpg img_1368_555.jpg img_1371_639.jpg

Last edited:

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Feb. 7, 2009
Began to mate.

img_1409_188.jpg img_1410_332.jpg img_1411_157.jpg

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Feb. 9, 2009
Berried female
This happens 2 days after mating.

img_1414_762.jpg img_1418_203.jpg

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Berried for a week now.
(Better pictures!)

img_1441_716.jpg img_1443_648.jpg img_1444_146.jpg

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Feb. 21 2009
Eggs are hatching but youngsters still cling onto the mother.

Hatching begins. This marks 12 days for gestation period! Only one egg has fallen off, it's still in a curled up position but movement is visible. The little cray is wiggling!
In case anyone is wondering about my temperature, the temp was at 78 for 10 days. I was not aware of this temp until my 10th day, in which I lowered it down to 75. I don't like too high temps because of my tiger shrimp.

That blue "bowl" is not actually a bowl. It's a measuring spoon (1 tablespoon)!

So how small? Very small!

img_1472_110.jpg img_1473_196.jpg img_1474_130.jpg img_1477_195.jpg

Last edited:

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Feb 23, 2009
Further observation: The crays have hatched but still cling onto the mother in their curled up position. From what I see, they can't walk yet. I found 3 that fell off the mother. Two are still alive and in the ball position as shown above. Another one isn't curled up but is unfortunately not showing any movement, I assume it's dead.
The two survivors are both isolated in a little plastic container inside the tank to protect them from the adults. They're wiggling around still, hopefully they'll start walking around soon

The remaining babies are still under the mother's abdomen.

Feb 24, 2009
Female #2 mated with my single male earlier today. She is now in a corner with her tail curled up as eggs plop out of her. She's setting up her eggs under her abdomen as I type! How exciting.

Crayfish female #1 is still carrying her baby crayfish, which have already hatched but not yet walking.
Crayfish female #2 is now berried (getting berried though, as I type). I will mark her berried date as Feb 24th.

Male is still single, but hopefully the babies will grow up to increase my population!

NOTE: The male and female mated on Feb 24, 2009. She was berried later that night. It took her a few hours to get berried as opposed to the previous female crayfish, which took her 2 days.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
More information:

Surprisingly, they're quite easy to breed. I'm not sure why I read so many posts online, prior to having this trio, about the difficulties in breeding CPOs. My water parameters aren't even "ideal" for CPOs. They like medium/hard water with PH of 7.5 or so. In other words, straight up tap water. I have mine in aquasoil, as I stated in earlier posts. Hopefully, I can supply the club with some CPOs in the future!
The male is smaller than the two females.
Male being about a little over an inch.
The females have larger looking bodies (though still small!). I'd say approx. 1.25 inch or so!

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Feb 26, 2009
Baby crayfish are starting to fall off the mother and walk on their own.

I checked the mommy cray with hatched eggs tonight to see if the babies started walking yet. To my surprise, I found a little one near her! She's still carrying a handful of babies but there's at least 3-5 babies walking around now!
More pics time!

This also marks 5 days from hatching to start walking.

For anyone who is curious of their size, they're about the size of a 5 day old dwarf shrimp. Colorless, except for the head area. There's like a hint of orange there already. You can see it in the pictures! I don't know if that coloration is from the internal organs and their bodies being see-through or it's the actual coloration of their exoskeleton. Whatever it is, yay! I'm leaning towards the exoskeleton's color though...

IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1479.JPG IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1481.JPG

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
that is awesome yadokari. They don't seem to be picky eaters or require odd water conditions, any idea why they're $50+ for a pair?

btw, I think I remember reading that you live in SJ? I'll be moving back there in a few weeks, and you sure look like you got a lotta craybies there..:idea:

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
that is awesome yadokari. They don't seem to be picky eaters or require odd water conditions, any idea why they're $50+ for a pair?

btw, I think I remember reading that you live in SJ? I'll be moving back there in a few weeks, and you sure look like you got a lotta craybies there..:idea:
To be honest, 50 dollars a pair is extremely expensive in my opinion! However, seeing as how these are the only dwarf crays that breed true an orange color, then that's probably where their high price comes at. All the other dwarf crays aren't as eye-catching as these dwarves. So that's my take on the 50+ dollars per pair pricing.

And yes, I am located in North San Jose.

I forgot to mention, these were given to me, I did not purchase them myself. I always do research before I purchase anything and I never found very good information on them. Aside from what PH and water they need, that was all that I could find. I like A LOT of information before I buy anything and I simply didn't feel comfortable with the amount of information that was out there for me to go out and purchase a pair/trio. My friend bought these for me as a surprise gift so I was kinda forced to just take them in. Surprisingly, they're pretty easy! So if anyone is scared of buying them because of the lack of information, I hope this journal helps you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store