Rubber bands--aquarium safe? Oto safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I was going to use rubber bands to attach some anubias to driftwood. Are they safe for the aquarium? In particular, are they safe if my otos happen to suck on them?

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
I've aways used them without prolem, although I have never had a fish suck on them before. I always tend to stay away from the coloured ones, just in case they have like paint that comes off of them etc.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Well, I just got back from the store, and I found some clear rubber bands in the hair section that I think aren't actually rubber--they're called "poly bands."
If anyone has any experience with these, or knows exactly what they're made of, let me know. But otherwise, I'll assume that if those white bands in coach_z's link are ok, then these clear ones will be, too.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I think rubber bands have oils and lubricants in them, so I would steer clear of using them in the tanks.

Can you imagine if one of them snaps and gives your Oto a whiplash?
just missed your post. i'll research these poly bands and see what's in them.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Rubber bands are fine in the tank. The will "rot" over time and break loose, most often the plant that you are attaching with them will have attached by that time and you can remove it from the tank.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks everyone. I bought a fresh pack of regular rubber bands, along with the clear poly bands. I sent an email to the customer care address of the makers of the poly bands, asking them what the material is, and explaining that I want to use them in an aquarium. If the company gets back to me, I'll post the info here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store