In over my head....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
OK, so, my boyfriend got me a present.....
It's a cute little GSP from walmart. He doesn't seem to have any walmart diseases, but...I've never had a brackish fish. I have him in my little tank right now, a little 2 gallon that I had my favorite guppy in until she finally died recently of old age. This new GSP was to make me feel better, since I'd had the guppy so long.
Basically, the poor guy is in a 2 gallon tank that was cycled as a freshwater. I found my heater and put it back in, so at this point it's at around 76 degrees, much better than the 72 it was earlier. I put like .5 tsp of aquarium salt...just the API brand that they had at walmart....
I gave him some freezedried brine shrimp and some flakes.....
but I have nooo idea what to do!
He's going to have to deal with that tank for a while. I mean I have some 10 gallons, but they are at home, not school. Only one is still set up, and it has a beta in it with a few baby guppies who are permanently babies, lol.
I'm going to invest in the tank I set up for him, but the only chem sets I have are for freshwater, and I'm going to have to get all new substrate I guess....
I mean, I think they need like crushed coral or aragonite or something......

I know there's plenty of things online for me to read, but.... I need my hand held thru this. I've never done anything so complicated before. Like, my guppies never got their pH checked or anything, I don't know what I'm doing!

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
ugh...
i dunno, i've been reading articles on here and on the internet, and i realize it's going to take forever for me to set a new tank up.... Which I understand, I mean, it always takes a while, it's just... I have to *find* this stuff...

And I'm kind of worried about him. His tail is so clamped, and when he's not sitting directly below the heater, he just keeps swimming up and down like he's trying to escape thru the corner.

Is the tank warm enough for him, do you think? I just have like a whisper brand heater for 2-15 gallon tanks, and as far as I can tell, you can't adjust it, it just automatically senses when it needs to change. (which is cool, because I actually had to write a program to do that once)

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
First off, if you haven't read the article, check this out

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125699

Second - do you have a thermometer for the tank? If you're worried about the water being too cold, that would be a good place to start, so at least you know for sure.

Also, walmart keeps these guys in full FW, maybe with a handful of aquarium salt added in. Did you acclimate it to brackish? Try to get even a small package of marine salt and start increasing the salinity, that should go a long way toward making it more comfortable. Aquarium salt does not make brackish water. Keep us posted on progress.

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
*kills self*
i had a huge responce, and for some reason it didn't get posted.

I did breeze thru that article, and planned on reading it more in depth later.

I have a stick on thermometer, which says that it's 76 or a little higher

i dont have him brackish at all, i dont know where i can get that marine salt...i'll have to travel and i dont have time.

in walmart all the puffers were crowded into the beta cup full of aq. salt, and the sticker above them said they preferred 1 tsp of aq salt per 5 gals, so i bought some.

fordsrule_68

AC Members
Jan 30, 2004
Colorado
Visit site
I would go to www.thepufferforum.com they have alot of good information on there and have care sheets for different species of puffers. I would also get a hydrometer to test the specific gravity of the water. Feed it snails the same size of it's eye daily to help grind down his teeth, you can also feed it small crickets and ghost shrimp.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
do go check out thepufferforum.com. it will save youre life

1) gsp needs a lot more than 2 gallons. they need a minimum of 30 gallons for 1 fish

2) aquarium salt is not the kind of salt to use for creating a brackish environment. you need marine salt. the brand is not too important, though most of us have a favorite brand.

3) the best advice i can give you though is to sit down and have a chat with your bf. let him know that it is awesome to be supportive of your hobby, but that the appropriate research needs to be done before buying the fish so that you can provide the best possible conditions for him.

cerhob

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
...Whats a GSP?

Edit: Nevermind. I found out.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store