Help diagnose white cloud minnow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joolicious

AC Members
I have a white cloud minnow who is obviously sick, but I've gone through multiple websites that list diagnostics and I'm still not sure exactly what's wrong. Minnow is most definately on the brink of death at this point, but still would like to diagnose in case the others could be affected as well.

I've had a bad track record so far. To give you a quick recap:
I first came to the community to seek advice concerning my sick h. inspector, who's now passed.

I have 4 white cloud minnows left in my 16g tank. Here are the details.

1. Water parameters
a) Temperature: 71
b) ph: somewhere between 7.4 and 7.8, unfortunately my test kit isn’t more precise.
c) Currently no test kit for GH
d) Currently no test kit for Kh
e) Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 Nitrate = 5
f) Water change frequency were daily when we suffered a sudden spike in ammonia and nitrite but became less frequent as parameters returned to normal and stabilized. (see link above for history details)

2. Tank set up
a) Size: 16G
b) Substrate: small gravel
c) Filtration: AquaClear 150 Power Filter
d) Furnishings: 1 piece of driftwood, a couple live plants (unidentified)
e) Other tank mates: 3 other white cloud minnows (looking perfectly healthy)
f) How long has it been set-up: Setup Jan 5th
g) When was the last new fish added? February 8th (inspector and zebra nerite) Inspector got chilodonella and passed 5 days into treatment; zebra was removed prior to treatment and still hasnt returned to tank.
h) Foods used and frequency? Small pinch of Nutrafin max everyday

3. Symptoms / Problem description

I can see NO physical symptoms at all.

It took me a while to figure out something was wrong because one day I'd see 3 minnows, the next I would see 4 and they were all swimming normally. So figured he had just been hiding.

• Minnow has been swimming erratically and would crash head first into gravel and stay there. Or he would hide into the plants but lay sideways. Eventually he'd return with the others and swim normally with them.

• Lost appetite

• Today I found him laying sideways on the gravel without moving at all, breathing slowly. I'm pretty sure his time is near.

4. Action taken (if any)

I've removed him because the others were starting to come around and I didnt want them to start picking at him. Or eat him if he passed, in case he has something the others could catch.

5. Medications used (if any)
The tank was being treated with malachite green solution (half dose) to treat sick pleco, I continued the treatment a couple days after he passed, just in case.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hmm.. even at a half dose, I remember reading somewhere that white clouds are real sensitive to medications. We'll have to see what the others say.. I usually don't venture into disease/medication stuff because other members know a lot more about that than me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store