"Asst African Cichlids"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nderouch

I am Superman
Mar 4, 2008
I was just at chain LFS and they have a tank with a bunch of cichlids in it and it is just marked "Asst African Cichlids".

Anyone have a clue what type these would be?

nderouch

I am Superman
Mar 4, 2008
how territorial are these hybrids? how do they behave?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Asst. African Cichlids most likely means assorted. Meaning there is a good chance there are hybrids. Sometimes you can find some good species from these tanks but you can never be sure if they are hybrids or not. It's usually better to know what you want and not buy from these assorted tanks.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Not necessarily hybrids, most likely pond-raised fish from Florida farms. They're usually mbuna, auratus and various zebras, occaisonally a few other species. The main problem is that they're the most aggressive species, and require a big tank for proper care. You're much better off researching species suitable for your tank size and tracking some down than buying unknown/unsuitable fish.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Generally they will be mbuna (Lake Malawi Species). Depending on the shop in question they may likely be hybrid fish. Some smaller local shops will have good pure strain fish in a large 'assorted african' tank, where they just don't have enough tank space or can't be bothered to accurately label. You will see some peacocks in there too. Basically if you like the fish go ahead and buy it; if you prefer not to keep hybrids don't buy from an 'assorted tank' unless you are very sure of the ID.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Not necessarily hybrids, most likely pond-raised fish from Florida farms. They're usually mbuna, auratus and various zebras, occaisonally a few other species. The main problem is that they're the most aggressive species, and require a big tank for proper care. You're much better off researching species suitable for your tank size and tracking some down than buying unknown/unsuitable fish.
Agree 100% with the aggression part.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
So i will weigh in here, Todd is 100% correct Florida fish farms and most distributors are selling mix lots of tiny Africans labeled as mix not necessarily hybrids but on occasions i do see some hybrids in these mix lots..they sell these to independent pet shops at a small fraction of the price you are paying for these guys and since they come in lots of 25 or more they are even cheaper for those pets shops to acquire..

And like Todd said as well you are seeing zebras, auratus, chipokea, johanni, more of your melanochromis and these dudes get pretty mean and reach about 6inches a nightmare waiting to happen to a newcomer in african cichlids..

The best advice has been given out research what you want and set out to do just that a good place to start on the info for african cichlis would be cichlid forum.com

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Why don't fish stores buy them in batches, ID them, separate then sell them for higher princes? To me, it looks like another cheaper source for them if they are not hybrids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store