5 fish dead after water change yesterday

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

doctorboo

AC Members
Nov 18, 2008
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this site for a few months now and have been enjoying many posts and picking up a lot of knowledge from you all.

Its an 80 litre / 20 gallon tank, has been going for 3 1/2 months, since mid-Nov 08, my first effort since childhood where I had a few years of not-very-successful fishkeeping (I'm sure many can relate to that!).

I cycled with fish in (balloon red eyed tetras - 6), changed water a lot at the beginning to keep ammonia down, never got above 0.5, never had a nitrite spike, was cycled after a month and never had any ammonia/nitrite above 0 since then. Added 6 cardinal tetras after a few weeks, and 2 german blue rams in early Jan after the water had been testing stable for awhile. 1 ram died after a month which I'm putting down to some sort of inherant weakness - the fish was pale and not swimming much for a few days, then died :( but no other symptoms. The other inhabitants have been lovely together - no bullying, everyone looking happy, eating ... The other ram, 3 weeks ago (early Feb) - I noticed some white 'fluff' on his gill and under chin - about the size of a pin head. Otherwise he was looking very healthy - good colour, eating and swimming well. Did a lot of water changes around there, ended up dosing once with 'triple sulfa' (broad spectrum). didn't seem to do much either way - the fluff slowly faded, he still acted healthy, until ...

I did a big water change yesterday (~70%) and pulled out a lot of plants that have been growing like wildfire, gravel vacced a lot, generally tidied up. Overnight 5 cardinal tetras died - found 3 bodies this morning, the other 2 must have been breakfast for the remaining (1 cardinal, 6 red eyes, 1 gbr). Now my remaining ram and cardinal are both hovering at top of tank, noses touching surface, ram has his black bars showing and cardinal pale - I'm so upset they will be next to go overnight and I have no idea why. The red eyes are not looking happy either - they are bunched together, hovering, instead of their usual hyperactive selves.

A few more parameters:
temp: 27 degrees (I've bumped it up from 26 to keep temperature fluctuations to a minimum during summer heat waves)
pH: 7.6 and steady (same as tap).
tank/filter: a 'kit' which I can't properly find described anywhere, some weird australian brand perhaps?? Blue planet serenelife aquarium with 3 stage filter - filter is in hood, has tight-fitting lid that creates a semi-vacuum. Filter contains bioballs, sponge, ceramic - I hardly touch it since there is never much gunk in it.

last water testing (API liquid test kit- done this morning before a second 80% water change done after I scooped out dead fishies).
ammonia: 0
nitrate: ~5
nitrite: 0

don't have kh, gh tests but not worried about that since pH is stable. Looked up water supply on the internet - is rated 'semi-soft'

Usual maintenance:
gravel vac and change 1/3 - 1/2 water about every 1 1/2 weeks. I use API tap water conditioner to remove chlorine / chloramine. I've been adding a plant fertiliser semi-regularly with water changes - "Florapride" - according to guidelines. I added with yesterday's water change, i did another big one today in case yesterday's fert dose had something to with 5 fish deaths overnight.

Why have nearly half my fish suddenly died? I am suspecting something in the water supply - there has been electrical substation work in my street the last 2 days, maybe it has mysteriously done something to the water. the tank water is also smelling unusually 'fishie' - like something has been dead in it for ages - but i changed most of the water today and the only dead thing is the 2 cardinal bodies I can't find that would only have been there a day anyway. Maybe my big gravel clean stirred up something? I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions esp about what I can do now ... I'm very reluctant to do another water change since it seems to be part of the problem - certainly it did nothing to help today.

Well this has ended up quite long, I'd appreciate hearing any ideas anyone has! Happy to elaborate on anything if needed ...

Thanks,

Rachel

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
gidday.gif

Sorry you've had a bad time. Fish-addict may well be right, especially considering the smell, if there are no missing fish, apart from the current ones.

70% is a pretty big water change, but I know some people do them without problems.

gidday.gif

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i always do 30-70% weekly on my 30 gallon tropical with neon tetra and corys with no issues. i would say that you did stir up a pocket of gas, either that or somehow you have contaminated the water, maybe wash your hands and not rinse off the soap properly, or maybe a spray or something in the air that got in while the tank was open? i always give a good and thorough gravel vac, even around the plants in my tanks, the thought of something bad like this happening due to a simple pocket of gas being released just doesnt bare thinking about. i would say to do another water change, maybe 20% just to diliute the water down incase there was some sort of contaminant. well thats what i would do anyway, good luck with your remaining fishies.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I also vote the possibility that you disturbed something by your "pulling out a bunch of plants". Do a few more water changes to dilute anything that may be left, maybe even add some air stones.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Sand Substrate? if it is thats definately the problem-- if its not its still a possibility

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
Another possibility is that the electrical work damaged a water main with the tool they were using to dig. After something like that, many water companies will jack up the chlorination just in case something got into a broken pipe. I would be at least double dosing dechlorinator for a while after something like that. You might try some dechlorinator in the tank water,like enough to treat the whole tank once. If the problem is an excess of chlorine that is getting past your treatments, that should help.

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
I'm very sorry :(

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
So sorry for your loss. I agree with the others that there is a distinct possibility that you stirred something up when you cleaned up and tidied up. Also a possibility that the water company may have added something to the water that is unsafe for the fish in an aquarium. You can check with the local water facility to see what they have added to the water recently if they will even tell you. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store