anubias beginning to go yellow and shrivel.. java ferns seem unaffected?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
I'm dosing flourish and flourish excel. I was told to quit dosing flourish every other day as it's a low tech tank and they likely don't need that much. It's been two days since I have added anything. Tank is due for a water change today. Should I add either flourish or excel during the change, or not add anything until tomorrow?

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
I may be over reacting but they definitely don't look as good as they did on Friday. Got them On wednesday, they looked a little out of it through Thursday, really picked up on Friday looking great, Saturday started to look a little less vibrant, woke up this morning and they don't look nearly as green as they did before and seem much more sluggish looking. Not nearly as vibrant as a few days ago. I'll take some pics in a bit and see if it's noticeable to anyone else or if I am just being paranoid.

Just changed about 45% and while the tank water looks a little browner, good grief, the water im taking out in to the rubbermaids are nearly impossible to see through. Woods leeching crazy tannins, which I am fine with. Makes the tank look much better.

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
Nope they are definitely shriveling up a bit now for sure. Could too much light (ie: lights on toom long) cause this issue? I was initially running the lights for 12 hrs +/-.. basically from 8am-8pm give or take a bit. I changed the timer now to go from 10am-8pm. Is this a possible solution?

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
So these are new plants? It's my understanding (and personal experience so far) that new plants get a bit sad when you first bring them in and may even lose leaves before they recover from shipping and acclimate to your tank. So far I've had anubias petite, java fern, malaysian java fern, anacharis, water lettuce, weeping moss, and java moss and the only plants that didn't do this were the mosses. The anubias were the hardest hit. I've had them a few weeks and they've just recently started putting out new, healthy growth.

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
So these are new plants? It's my understanding (and personal experience so far) that new plants get a bit sad when you first bring them in and may even lose leaves before they recover from shipping and acclimate to your tank. So far I've had anubias petite, java fern, malaysian java fern, anacharis, water lettuce, weeping moss, and java moss and the only plants that didn't do this were the mosses. The anubias were the hardest hit. I've had them a few weeks and they've just recently started putting out new, healthy growth.

Yes!!! what you are describing is exactly what my plants seem to be going (growing - har har) through!!! What kind of schedule do you keep your plants on? Maybe I'll bump the lights back to 12 hours then instead of 10 which I have just put them to. Maybe that's another issue. Trying to correct things and I'm making too many changes as they are trying to acclimate.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Anubias typically prefer low light.. they do best in my tanks with low light.
but they can adapt to a high light tank.

they will lighten up in color or simply move them to a shaded part of the tank.

my tanks rarely run lights that long unless I am trying to get algae to grow.

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
Anubias typically prefer low light.. they do best in my tanks with low light.
but they can adapt to a high light tank.

they will lighten up in color or simply move them to a shaded part of the tank.

my tanks rarely run lights that long unless I am trying to get algae to grow.

How long would be recommended to leave lights on then? I generally keep them on during the day so I can check the tank out when I'm in the room. Should I knock it back to like 4 hours?

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Yes!!! what you are describing is exactly what my plants seem to be going (growing - har har) through!!! What kind of schedule do you keep your plants on? Maybe I'll bump the lights back to 12 hours then instead of 10 which I have just put them to. Maybe that's another issue. Trying to correct things and I'm making too many changes as they are trying to acclimate.
I'm afraid I don't do much for my plants. Low light, on 8am-8pm because my turtle needs 12 hours and she gets priority. So far I don't use fertilizers or CO2, except that I just recently starting putting in a capful of Flourish Excel every week or so when I remember. I wouldn't say they're going gangbusters or anything, but they do all seem to recover and start growing better after a few weeks, even in my less-than-perfect care.

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
I'm afraid I don't do much for my plants. Low light, on 8am-8pm because my turtle needs 12 hours and she gets priority. So far I don't use fertilizers or CO2, except that I just recently starting putting in a capful of Flourish Excel every week or so when I remember. I wouldn't say they're going gangbusters or anything, but they do all seem to recover and start growing better after a few weeks, even in my less-than-perfect care.

Maybe I need to care for mine less then.. I could be smothering them, I guess lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store