first time discus !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
hi all , i have a 55g with 2 angels , a temporary betta , 8 zebras , 3 neons , 16 temporary baby swordtails , 4 corys and 3 smal plecs and a friend o mine just bring me his 2 discus cuz he s away for a few month ,....
the discuses are juv and bout 2" now ( i donno their kind but i can post some pics ) , it s their first day and they seem so stressed and didn t eat yet ,
so what the basic things to do to keep these two babys alive and healthy ?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Very warm water, like 84-86F.
Plenty of water changes.
Keep the nitrates low.

Feed them Bloodworms, Beefheart (if they will eat it) and i feed mine flake.

IDK if your other fish will be tolerant of the higher temps that juvie discus need to thrive. I know some types of corys arent. do some research on that.

Most important are the temp and water changes though.

Discus eat slowly, be sure the other fish dont eat all the food before they get any.

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
the zebras might be too active for discus to relax.. stress is no.1 killer

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The discus have just gone through leaving their familiar tank to being put in an unfamiliar tank with unfamiliar tankmates so no need to worry about them not eating yet. They need time to acclimate to their new environment. You're only taking care of them for a few months, I would follow the diet the owner has been following. Did the owner supply you with the food?

As stated, they need warm temps and clean water. You don't say how big your angels are. From past experience, I know that angels can be absolutely piggies when food is given. You will have to be careful that the discus get plenty to eat, they are young and growing. The angels may not allow them to get enough food.

Last edited:

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
thnx all for replies , so water temp and lotsa WC ,he said he ll bring the foods and water treatment he use too ( tetra blackwater ! any one knows bout it ? )
the angels are bout 3.5" now and they really r piggies .
and for the zebras they r really active and fast but they not bother anyone ... my worry is the betta and the angels , they r somekinda aggressive , ( as soon as i put their bag in the tank the betta come and starin at them for 5 min! , it was cute )
and the baby swordtails i think will stay for another month maybe , and they nip EVERYTHING !!!!! and u know how the hell they eat ,will it bother the discus ???

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
one of them died :(

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry to hear this. Two things immediately come to mind that may have contributed to the loss......aggression from the other fish, or the discus weren't acclimated appropriately. I think you will be in for a battle to keep the lone surviving discus happy and healthy without any other discus for it to stay with.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
:( i immediately do a 30% WC , the other discus is still almost moveless , stayin by back glass , but sometimes rub itself rapidly by plants ...

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
ouch.. sorry to hear.. rule of thumb.. the betta is no threat..the danios are just too hyper.. Angels tend to slow down after a while an "mostly" pick on their own kind (vs. Discus).. a wonderful apparatus called a "feeding cone" keeps everyone in-line! its works best with frozen type worms, but the cone can be removed and fish fed flake thru the ring.. works really well for me! My Gold Severums/Angels/Discus all dine together, very civil-like.. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store