for those considering a cannister filter...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_40&products_id=971

I picked one up just to see what it is about.
unfortunately this one arrived with a defect.. one of the braces where the cannister locks down was damaged..it actually caused a break in the bottom of the canister housing at the bottom.. lucky tho that it came apart easily.. I used aquarium silicon and emailed catalina.. they are sending a replacement body.

I did get the cannister body sealed and was able to get it running ..
as you can see it has plenty of media trays ..and descent flow.

I will be picking up media and testing on a 29 planted ...

more to come...

sapphire384

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
Buffalo, NY
another chinese version of another country's product. the chinese government have no respect for patents or copyrights- they just allow their company's to pirate other designs and then mass produc them using other materials.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
another chinese version of another country's product. the chinese government have no respect for patents or copyrights- they just allow their company's to pirate other designs and then mass produc them using other materials.
Cant really complain when most of the products in the US come from China. But with the chinese aquarium knock-offs you get what you pay for them, they usually wear out fast, get loud over time or burn your house down.

I do admit to buying chinese spongfilters, cause what can fail on that, and the large sponges only cost $5 with everything including airstone, tubing and weighted base, hehe.

Kuthoht

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
I would not trust that. I'm very careful of my canister filters. You have to realize if one of those things springs a leak it can flood your house with water. Thats an Eheim Pro II knock off. Its missing alot of the actual features of the Eheim too.

smoochxoxo

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
NY
I would be wary since it looks like it is only 50 bucks. Aren't those on average $250 for the real thing? And no matter where it was "made" if it is being sold that cheaply I would probably pass and I am one of those cheaper is better type of people! lol
GL I hope it works for you!!!!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
It does appear to be a eheim knock off..but cory keeper may be right it may actually be eheim.. not sure
I purchased it to test it.

the construction is ok. the pump is quiet..I mean quiet.. there is no noise coming from the unit housing.. I actually lifted the output to see if it was running..it is.
but the point I was trying to bring is.. $49.99 plus $10 shipping. $59.99

there are a lot of folks looking to DIY and this is available as an option.

time will tell.. but so far it has been running with no issues..I like it because the trays give you quite an option for media..with a 320 gph it should make a good filter for my 29..nothing fancy but it is an alternative for homemade.

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
Looks like a rip off eheim. Jebo's are bad enough I cannot imagine what this thing does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store