Repairing cracked tank bracing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Druu

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Well, I picked up a tank a few weeks ago and just noticed yesterday that one of the pieces of top bracing is cracked. (Tank has not been in use, I finally got a few people to help me move it.) Leaving the bracing as is is not an option as the tank is 150g, which is about 150g more water than I want on my floor at any given time. Bracing is cracked all the way through. no chips or anything though. I was thinking I'd get either a few plexiglass scraps or use sheet metal and sandwich the bracing in between then drill through and use wing nuts to hold the whole shebang together. If anyone has experience doing something like this and/or pictures, please chime in. I don't have a pic of the break, but here's one of the tank in my garage.

DSCF1289.JPG

Druu

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
ozy, any idea how much a new top trim would cost? Even if I got that, I'm not sure I'd be able to take this one off without damaging the tank.

krytan, braces are plastic. two braces on the top of the tank

We agreeing that drilling and using wing nuts is a good idea? I was also told that I could just epoxy the plexiglass or metal pieces to it, but I'm afraid that'll pull apart.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I would strongly recommend purchasing a new top frame for your tank. You should be able to find a sticker on the tank that tells you the manufacturer, and then you can order the part directly from them. IME the top frame can be very difficult to remove, but I think it is worth it in the long run. As you said, that is a LOT of water to risk ending up on your floor. ;)

WiJosh

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
i tried to fix the top brace on my 72 gallon bowfront with a two part epoxy. when i did the test fill the water got about 2 inches from the top then the brace completely failed. so i drained it and just got a new trim piece. my trim cost about $25 bucks ordered through my local lfs. the top trim was a pain to get off because i could only get it off in little pieces but fortunately the glass was stronger than the plastic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store