Gravel Vacuuming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

krowland

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
When I do my weekly water changes, I typically use a gravel vac attached to my Python. Is weekly gravel cleaning overkill or OK? Am I damaging the bacteria colonies at all or is this a healthy way to stimulate additional population of bacteria?

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I usually gravel vac with my weekly changes. The only bacteria that should be removed in the process would be ones that weren't healthy anyway, the healthy ones should be pretty firmly attached. I suppose it could potentially oxygenate more of the substrate to "stimulate" additional growth...but I don't know for sure if it would really have any effect.

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
I clean the gravel with my python every water change(each week). It does not disturb the cycle because the livign bacteria has a tight "grip" Like said by korwland, it probably just sucks up the dead bacteria that has no more grip. Perfectly fine, never had a problem doing it over the years.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
My 60 gallon is way overcrowded. with some messy fish (tinfoils). I vaccuum half the gravel one week, and the other half the next week. When I vaccum, I hardly syphon any debris even though its a strong sunction. I think my emperor 400 is doing its job. However, my 20 gallon, I need to vacuum all the gravel becuase the gravel looks "funky with mold or fungus" on left over food maybe? I dont know why? you would think with 10 catfish, there would not be any left over food..

bayoupr

AC Members
Oct 13, 2002
Avondale, La.
Visit site
I vac my gravel every other week not because I think it destroys good bacteria. Since I work offshore my wife takes care of the water change when I'm gone and then I vac on the next water change when I'm in. Never had any problems with this method. To me cleaning the gravel is just as important as a water change, just don't let in stay dirty for long periods, then I think your water quality will diminish. Thats my opinion.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Vacing the gravel does not harm the bacteria colonies. think about a fluidized bed filter

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
Would you NOT want to gravel vac a planted tank? Correct or yes?

Just curious if any of you have plants? I am always wondering if anyone does this with planted substrate? I hear contiversy on this issue on other forums?

Sorry if its not a general freshwater question??

Spankey

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store