Pictus Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jerky1280

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
New London, CT
Visit site
I am stocking my 33gal breeder tank (36Lx18Wx12H) with a couple of fish to accompany my baby turtle (he doesn't eat fish longer than 1" or so). My tank is kept between 80 and 81 degrees, and the water is filtered and crystal clear.

I want to put in a couple of fish, primarily some scavengers to try and keep the bottom clean (the turtle is messy sometimes). Also, I want something that says relatively small, that won't outgrow my aquarium - I have very limited funds. I was recommended pictus catfish, and wanted to know everyone's opinion. Also in the aquarium will probably be a pair of gourami's (haven't decided what type yet).

Will pictus cats work for me, and how many should I get if so? I don't know anything about their sociability or aggressiveness, so I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
I have had my 4 pitus cats for almost a year now.When I got them they were 1/1.5"long and very skinny.They are about 5/6"now and have been for about 5 months.So as you can tell they grow quickly when thier younger and then taper off.Oh yeah they are also pigs and not skinny!They will eat anything smaller then they are and are always on the move,so I don't recommend them with delicate(angels)fish.They are very good scavangers,but you will also have to feed them sinking pellets. Right now mine are in a 125g with cichlids,but have been with silver dollars,columbian sharks and bala's. They mainly stay on the bottom of the tank and perfer to be with thier own kind.In a aquarium your size I'd go with 4.
I have mine in hard, high ph water at 80 degree's.I believe its said they like soft water but I've never had a problem. Remeber there is another speices that looks the same,but with larger spots that will grow to over a foot!

jerky1280

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
New London, CT
Visit site
Four seems like a lot...especially if they grow upwards of 6 inches. Doesn't that violate the 1" of fish per gallon of aquarium rule? Keep in mind that I also have a 4" Red Eared Slider (turtle) and plan on having two gourami's as well.

I already have sinking wafers (from a Chinese Algae eater that I used to have), and my turtle sometimes leaves a mess from his pellets, so I don't have a hard time keeping them fed. Will they need someplace to hide? Right now I have a couple of plastic plants (the turtle eats live ones) and a cave made of rocks. It sounds like they won't have any problems with the gourami's, seeing how they can actually eat smaller fish.

Last edited:

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
Sorry,I had no idea your turtle was that big!Should have asked.Your right,but they do best as a group so try for 2.One by themselfs will not be active.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store