Help! My Oldest Gold Fish is SICK!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kedaeus_Sendre

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2009
Hello,

I'm posting because I can't identify what the heck is wrong with my goldfish.

On the left side of his body is a huge "rash" (Pic1). His scales are starting to peel away from it's otherwise smooth looking appearance and on the top of her head she's got a white patch of flesh (no scales) (Pic 2) about the size of a pencil eraser.

My other fish are starting to notice and my comets are picking at her.. No bueno.

Ignore the oversized eyes - unless you think it's Popeye again..
My wife introduced a bunch of Butterfly Panda's into the population, when I was deployed to Iraq, that brought in a popeye infection so his eyes are HUGE.. They have always been glazed over (since the popeye) but I think now it's getting worse..

I'm going to pick up some aquarium salt after work today..

I noticed this over the past two days.. Water conditions are normal..

Temp: 76F
PH: 7.4
Nitrites: 0.5ppm
Amonia: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

Pictures Related..

The little one in the foreground is very inquisitive.. :D Couldn't take a picture without him in center frame..

Come to think of it all my grass died about the same time this cropped up..

Last edited:

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Actually, those water conditions are not good. That tank isn't cycled if its showing nitrite, and it could be a large part of the reason you're having trouble.
Good parameters would be something like this:
nitrite : 0
ammonia: 0
nitrate: 5-20 (0 if understocked and heavily planted)

How many fish are in there, what size is the tank, and how often do you do water changes?

Kedaeus_Sendre

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2009
55Gal
8 Gold Fish
25-50% Water Change Weekly depending on parameters and refuse in the sand.

My last tank cracked - which led me to populate this tank in a pinch.
It's been about a month since I set this tank up. And this is the first sign of stress - if any - that I have seen.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Kedaeus, your tank is quite overstocked and I think that's likely the source of the problems. I agree with paperdragon that looking at your parameters, your tank doesn't seem cycled. With an uncycled tank and that much overstocking, it was only a matter of time until you started seeing illness.
Your moor definitely has pop-eye, though I think it's likely due to poor water quality and possibly a bacterial infection.
In the short term, you'll need to do a large (70% or more) water change and a thorough filter cleaning. Make sure to maintain whatever beginnings of a cycle you have by only rinsing your bio media in tank water. The rest of the filter should be rinsed in clean water and scrubbed well. Be sure to thoroughly vacuum the gravel, too.
The best way to treat this is with a broad-spectrum antibacterial, since we can't be sure what strain of bacteria is causing the problem. I would try a Maracyn/Maracyn 2 regimen - they should be available at your local LFS in powder form.
In the long term, you shouldn't be keeping more than 4 or 5 fancies in that size tank, regardless of current size. I would recommend bringing the whole tank back to optimal health, then rehoming 3 or 4 fish.
Best of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store